Janes Island State Park - 7/22/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janes Island State Park - 7/22/2014

I haven't been able to get on the water much this year, but I think I made the most of this trip:

On Monday afternoon I loaded the kayak and a bunch of fishing gear and went to Ocean City. I fished off the bridge the rest of the day, catching flounder by day and short stripers at night. There is a bat ray swimming around the bridge recently that must have an 8ft wingspan. I snagged him once. He won that fight.

I grabbed some sleep around 2am, then woke up around 4:45 and took the drive down to Janes Island, about 1hr 15mins from ocean city. Got there around 6am and started fishing with a top-water spook. Worked by way all the way up the cut until I got to the basin with no takers on the topwater. Switched to a gulp on a 1/8 oz jighead, which has worked very well there in the past. I got a bite and I was really hoping for a trout. Turned out to be a 14 inch bluefish. No more takers on the gulp, so I paddled out of the cut and headed north, as I wanted to explore the grass edges north of the island. There was a lot of bait in the water, but I could not get a bite around the edges. I started casting a Bomber Badonk-a-donk SS, a slow sinking twitch bait like a Mirrodine, and picked up a 19in striper. I took a break from paddling and let the east wind blow be across the river to the north shore of the island, dragging fish bites on a hi-low rig. Got a 10in croaker. I then beached on a sandbar and ate some lunch, where I met a local gentleman who had paddled around from the other side of the island. He said that flounder and speckled trout haven't shown up well this year so far. Fishing was slow so I switched to exploration mode, paddling around the north side of the island and coming in on the far side of The Beach, where I could drag the yak across and put back in in the basin. I paddled back to the launch from there, got everything loaded, and left Janes Island around 3pm. Slow fishing that day, but neat area as always.

I headed back to Ocean City in the afternoon and was back fishing off the bridge by 4. I caught loads of short flounder and 1 keeper with a bucktail and gulp, and even caught 2 kingfish/whiting on the bucktail gulp combo. I only had small rods with me, but I took one of my spinning rods and fished the surf at night with fish bites and mole crabs. I caught 2 baby sharks and 2 mystery eel-like burrowing fish. I grabbed a bit more sleep, then fished the bridge again in the morning, caught more short flounder, and then drove home to go to work in the afternoon.

No camera, so no pics...nothing picture worthy anyway. Good trip, burned some gas, got to paddle a bit, and caught a bunch of fish. Fun.

Wow. Sounds like one heck of a fish-a-thon.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks for this report. It is always helpful to know what people are using for bait/lures, as well as time of day/night fished. It sounds like a great place to go. I'll have to check it out. Did you sleep in your vehicle or did you camp at the Janes Island State Park? I ask because I'd like to know the availability of lodging or the safety factor of sleeping in your truck. Thanks!
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

yup the local guy was right... Speck fishing not what it was last few years around Tangier Sound. I Fish area near Janes Island a few times a week and had only one really great day. Thanks for the report

Comment

I was gonna go there next weekend maybe I'll go somewhere else. Thanks for the report.

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
            Thanks for this report. It is always helpful to know what people are using for bait/lures, as well as time of day/night fished. It sounds like a great place to go. I'll have to check it out. Did you sleep in your vehicle or did you camp at the Janes Island State Park? I ask because I'd like to know the availability of lodging or the safety factor of sleeping in your truck. Thanks!
            Deet is your best friend if there is no breeze to keep the mosquitoes and midges away. The deer flies are stronger fliers and found my bare ankles pretty quick when I pulled up on the sand bar.

Camp sites were around $25 per night the last time I camped there. This was for the most basic site, which included a picnic table and maybe a fire pit. I slept in the car for this trip. I usually just find a quiet place and grab a couple hours of sleep when exhaustion forces me to quit fishing. I have a station wagon, so I just move some stuff around in the back and I can lay out quite comfortably. I throw a coated steel cable through one of the scupper holes of the yak and around the roof rack, and lock it with a big padlock. This will hopefully deter anyone who would snatch the yak off the roof.

Comment

Working...
            X