Looking for help fishing the Choptank River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help fishing the Choptank River

I'll be vacationing in mid-August in a home that we have rented in Cambridge, Md on the Choptank River between the route 50 bridge and the mouth of the bay. I'm more of a largemouth bass fisherman so I don't know too much about fishing the salt. Can anyone provide me with some recommendations on how to fish that water, fish to target, baits to use, places to fish, etc. Any help will be appreciated.
    2012 Hobie Outback
    2014 Tarpon 100

at the mouth of the choptank there should be loads of spot in 10 to 20 feet of water. Catch spot on a bottom rig with fishbites, find 30 feet of water and catch stripers/bluefish and maybe a ocasional fluke or spanish mackeral using the live spot for bait. I use about 30 inches of 25# flourocarbon leader with maybe a 5/0 j or octopus hook. Hook the spot just in front of the dorsal fin, careful not to hit the spine. I fish a open bail holding the line with a very light grip. When the bait gets excited I release the line and wait for a run. Dont set the hook yet. I was once told by a charter captain, whom i hold in high esteem, that a striper will strike and mash a bait from behind on a short run, he will then slow and spin the bait in his mouth to swallow it head first. set the hook on the second run. Hope this helps.
    Should be some croakers around too.

Comment

Thanks, gillplate. This info gives me a great start in selecting equipment, baits and locations.
      2012 Hobie Outback
      2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

I hope it works out for you. Of course all cards need to fall into place, which they seldom do. at the very least the fishbites on a bottom rig should score you something.Gulp 4" swimming mullet have worked for me if you want to cast artificials. And by the way, If you do get into some larger sized blues,flounder or spanish,the 25# flouro may not withstand there teeth. maybe have some 50# or wire on hand.

Comment

Will you have a kayak?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            Will you have a kayak?
            Yes. I fish out of a Hobie Outback, rigged with 4 rods and a Lowrance Elite 4x HDI fishfinder. The only salt that I typically fish is the North East River (more brackish than salt). I catch an occasional small striper there but mostly target largemouht bass.
            2012 Hobie Outback
            2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/cambridgeinset.asp

The link above show several public launch sites in or very near Cambridge. I personally would put in at Great Marsh Park. Plenty of room there, and you get instant access to the rock jettys. Hopefully you can catch an incoming tide at sunrise or dusk and troll up some stripers close (within 5-10' of safe) of the rocks on an eighth to 3/8
              ounce jig w/ a white or chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet
              on it, and an X-rap and/or Rattletrap on another rod.

On a third rod, I'd have a popping bobber on a surf rig w/ a quarter or half a peeler crab on a no 4 or 5 hook cast away from the kayak.

Look for gulls and breaking fish farther out and have a heavy metal spoon @ 1.5 ounces ready to chase them with the 4th rod.
              There's a small tackle shop on Rt 50 just over the bridge at Cambridge that has live peeler and/or bloodworm.

Comment

Also, the Choptank is really big water. If you see a storm coming up, be ready to head shelter fast. They have no mercy.

Comment

Working...
                X