A Good Day at Whitehall Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Day at Whitehall Bay

Raptor and I plied the waters of Mill Creek and Whitehall Bay today. We launched late morning on a falling tide and stayed out nearly five hours until the early afternoon.

Weather conditions were ever-changing. Mostly it was overcast but there were periods of sun followed by dark threatening clouds. No rain fell. Wind was either gusting or calm. The waves were large at times with considerable choppiness in between huge swells. It was like a roller coaster. And then behind shelter it was calm.

But there was good news. We boated over 80 white perch between us about evenly divided. It’s an excellent day when your count gets fuzzy near 40 fish. And we each caught 3 stripers. Five of those 6 stripers were legal sized fish. Raptor caught the largest by trolling a white bucktail dressed with a white Fat Sam paddletail. It was a 22 to 24 inch fish. I got two 18 to 19 inch stripers and one at 16 or 17 inches.

We released all the fish we caught today.

Although we each hooked a nice striper trolling our best success came casting Rat-L-Traps to the rip rap and wooden retaining wall at Hackett Point. Not only did we pick up 4 nice stripers that way, the white perch were very willing to challenge the Rat-L-Trap. However, by far I caught more white perch on a 1/8 oz. jig/spinner combo. The color of the trailer didn’t matter. I used chartreuse, yellow and white Mr. Twisters until they literally fell off of the hook from abuse. My stripers each hit a ½ oz. Rat-L-Trap.

These two lures caught all my fish:

D.jpg

Here is Raptor with a striper he hooked near the wooden wall.

P1010248.jpg

Then on the way back across Whitehall Bay I got this fish trolling the Rat-L-Trap. Notice its face. I’ve seen fish like this posted before but it was my first time to catch one. The Rat-L-Trap was attached the underside of its bottom jaw. Given its length at nearly 19 inches I assume it is a member of the 2011 class upon which so much rests for the health of the striped bass population. Let’s hope it doesn’t pass that face to its progeny.

B.jpg C.jpg

So ended our day at Mill Creek and White Hall Bay. However just a few yards before our launch site I made a couple more casts to pick up a final white perch. A fish quickly complied and I immediately put up my rod. That’s a good way to end any fishing trip – a fish on the last cast. It was easy to do today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

That Striper looks like the dog that chased the proverbial "parked car".
    Ouch!
    As to passing it on to it's progeny: well, who'd have sex with something that ugly?
    lol

Comment

Nice work Mark and Terry. That is a great near shore report. Maybe the stripers will move into the Greenbury Pt area soon. I'm glad to hear that Terry found his perch mojo again.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That is one unusual looking striper! Good job guys. I was wondering if the weather would be rough that way today and tomorrow.
        Last edited by Goody; 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Nice report, did not realize Bill Cowher was swimming in the Chesapeake!
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Good job guys.

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            That is one unusual looking striper!
            X100!!!

Never seen a fish like that. Do you suppose it was a defect or injury that caused it?
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Most likely a genetic defect that few fish with this condition survive, for obvious reasons.
              When I was breeding exotic goldfish, mouth deformities like these were not that uncommon.
              I've seen a few fish like this, not always stripers, and most get to the point where they can no longer feed sufficiently to continue to grow.

Comment

Yeah I think that monster may be a flathead .do you drift or anchor when your fishing for cats?

Comment

Strange striper indeed.
                  But 80 perch!!! What a haul. Nice job.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Great report guys!

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to report.

Comment

Working...
                      X