St Mary's River gave Meet and greet a variety of fun....and SPECs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary's River gave Meet and greet a variety of fun....and SPECs

I was happy to see 20 guys at the Meet and Greet.Some old, some new. I found out one of the guys, James, lives right down the street from me? How didn't I know that?? Cody showed up, the youngest guy I have met at a M&G, Tall Timbers Yakker showed that the retired guys can put in as many miles as the youngsters!

I waited till everyone was launched then put out....I was happy to hear guys were catching fish right away. Then suddenly I noticed that the second to last guy off the ramp, mustafa, had just caught a fish, and we weren't even out of the creek....even more surprised that it was a 15" Speckled trout!!!! Ictalarus Bill caught one in the same area later in the day. An incredible variety of fish were caught today. 3 speckled trout, rockfish, spot, croaker, bluefish, flounder (small but many), lizardfish, and one tiny puppy drum.....oh and crabs.
    I caught a few fish including a the worlds most slender 17 inch striper and a 14 inch Bluefish. I was happy to have the group waited on buy my former student Briana...she did a great job. Hope that the other guys will post when they get home.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sorry I missed it Kevin...I am still in the middle of moving back in our home after a 51 day stay in a hotel during the remodel...hanging pictures, bringing in boxes from storage, etc...you better believe I would rather be fishing with my MKF buddies...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron.....glad you are finally going home

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

It was a beautiful day in deed! It was a phenomenal surprise that not even 3 minutes after launching I get a rod bend in the creek... At first I thought it may be a dink striper but then I see the spots and man was I psyched! Then I thought this will be a great day... An hour later I didn't catch anything else trolling! LOL
          So I switched to bottom fishing and caught a few WP and croaker.
          Good to see some old faces and finally got to meet some members I've only read about!

I will definitely try to come down to that area again, it's beautiful!

P8092792.jpg
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Awesome day

I finally made it to another M&G. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed catching up with my "old" fishing buddies and meeting some new folks. I also can't believe Kevin and I were on the water at the same time with no wind or storms. Anyway, my tally for the day was 4 perch, with the biggest right at 11", a mess of stripers up to 16", a rat redfish(!!!), a dopey croaker, and a barely legal speck(!!!!). Here are the pics:

Second largest perch:

My speck:

I saw Mustafa's fish, and his pic doesn't do it justice. It was nice and fat.

My first red of the year:

An 8" croaker on a 4" lure:
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yakers in action

Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Lunchtime

Thanks to Kevin for putting an awesome M&G together.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the great pics Bill.

Comment

Well here is my journey for the day. I almost did not make it since my job have me working 15 hour days. So needless to say, I was beat before the M&G even got here. Never the less, I enjoy fishing new locations, new launch sites with great people. So I got up and met another kayaker, Coop1486, along the way. We were the first to arrive at 5:45am securing a parking location on the grass next to the boat ramp. Other kayakers began to arrive.*Coop1486 and I and two other kayakers launched at 6:30am. The weather was beautiful.*Calm waters and low winds, led to a wonderful fishing experience for this Meet and Greet. Great Job Kevin.....

I fished the grassy shorelines to the left of the ramp catching large 11.5 inch perch. Coop1486 continued on to the mouth of the river where he crossed over to the point at Webster Field where he caught three croakers. I slowly worked my way to the mouth of the river chatting with other kayakers along the way. To my surpise, I caught a 14 inch flounder on white Gulp and 1/4 ounce red jighead while dragging the line behind me. I decided to cross over to the other shoreline by Windmill Point. I caught 16 inch rockfish in the shallows while trolling. There were fish everywhere jumping. I bottom fished with peelers in 7 feet of water and proceeded to catch croakers and a few jumbo spots.*I even caught two crabs that were released. I saw one strange fish that leaped three feet out of the water like a dolphin. This fish was later identified to be a Harvest Fish by Bill, a.k.a, Ictalurus.*Coop1486, Tango, and Masgouf met me at this location while I was checking out the drop offs around Windmill Point.*As the fishing slowed down, so we moved to the other side of the shoreline where Coop1486 caught three croakers earlier.*We caught more croakers and a spot here and there on peeler crabs.*The bloodworm Fish Bites did not attract any fish for me. Time was running out to fish before the 1:30pm scheduled lunch at the marina’s restaurant.*I caught a few more perch on the shorelines near the ramp, while Masgouf caught a 16.5 inch rockfish on the troll in to the ramp.

Lunch was good, with great company. We even had a "dry" table for those who preferred the soda to the adult beverages A good time was had by all.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by moc; 08-10-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Moc....that last pic is awesome with both sun and rain.....wallpaper now on my computer.

Comment

Sounds like it was a great trip. Nice to see all of the catching going on. A little far for me considering I'm making the same drive next weekend to take my daughter back to St Mary's for her final semester before graduation. I've always looked at the river there and wondered if there were any fish in it. Now I know.

Nice job.
                        Hurricane Skimmer 128
                        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

It was a great time, well organized. Thanks Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                            Sounds like it was a great trip. Nice to see all of the catching going on. A little far for me considering I'm making the same drive next weekend to take my daughter back to St Mary's for her final semester before graduation. I've always looked at the river there and wondered if there were any fish in it. Now I know.

Nice job.
                            take your boat and launch right there at the college. Here is the route I would take if you do.

this is the launch (though the photo is old)
                            Park in the circled area or across the street in student parking after dropping your yak

Comment

Working...
                            X