Piney Point 8-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point 8-11

OK, after the M&G on Saturday I realized that there was more than freshwater around me so I headed out to Piney Point this morning. I was looking for white perch and had a small 1 1/2 inch crank bait that the guys at the Tackle Box told me would produce. Headed out to the rip rap near the launch and after some extensive untangling with another crank bait finally got a cast off. I had a nice hit and found myself hooked up with a 21" rockfish. Got it in the boat and unhooked it and fumbled around for my tape measure. Didn't realize the line had broken and my crank boat was long gone when I got done admiring the fish. Of course I didn't bring a cooler so I let the fish go instead of risking it spoiling as I was no more than minutes into the day. Switched to a beetle spin and caught maybe 10 or so perch before I called it quits. Tried a Gulp minnow that had worked Saturday but no real takers.

No 48" drum, but I was happy.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    OK, after the M&G on Saturday I realized that there was more than freshwater around me so I headed out to Piney Point this morning. I was looking for white perch and had a small 1 1/2 inch crank bait that the guys at the Tackle Box told me would produce. Headed out to the rip rap near the launch and after some extensive untangling with another crank bait finally got a cast off. I had a nice hit and found myself hooked up with a 21" rockfish. Got it in the boat and unhooked it and fumbled around for my tape measure. Didn't realize the line had broken and my crank boat was long gone when I got done admiring the fish. Of course I didn't bring a cooler so I let the fish go instead of risking it spoiling as I was no more than minutes into the day. Switched to a beetle spin and caught maybe 10 or so perch before I called it quits. Tried a Gulp minnow that had worked Saturday but no real takers.

No 48" drum, but I was happy.
    [scratching head]Did the lure fall through your drive well?[/scratching head]

I drag fish around for several hours on a stringer and they stay alive, as long as speed is kept in check; i.e. no faster than trolling.

Congrats on the rockfish.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I think after I got the hook out I tossed the lure over the side of the boat to get it out of the way and didn't realize I had a line break down near the reel (not sure how that happened but strange things happen in the kayak). Fortunately the crank bait was inexpensive. I'll have to invest in a stringer - so used to throwing everything back that I'm not prepared to keep fish.
      Mike

Comment

I throw back most fish, but like to bring some home too. Hopefully I'll have my new stringer soon, Goody picked one up for me in Florida when he went to visit his folks...and I just got home from visiting my folks about an hour ago.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Good job on the fish!

Fish will keep for a while on the deck. If you're worried about drying out, wet a small towel and place it on it. Or I've known someone who just opened his hatch and put the fish inside the kayak.

Was the crack bait one of those little rapalas that people use for pan fish?
          Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM.
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Not 100 percent sure but I think it was a Mann's baby minus 1, but I swear this one was smaller. I know where it is on the shelf so will let you know exactly what it was. I think I'm going by the tackle shop tomorrow.

Thanks for input's on keeping fish. I still think in this case I'd throw her back.
            Mike

Comment

good day Mike, Keep on that salt! Try your chug bug's.....they get stripers in that area
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Mind like a steel trap that's been rusted shut. The lure was a Rebel Teeny R - color was Tennessee Shad. Can't beat the price - $3.40. I bought 2 this time.
                Mike

Comment

Good to know! Thanks Mike!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice catch on the striper Mike!
                    That's a great eating size.

Last Saturday at the M&G I was late coming back in because I missed the entrance to Carthagena Creek. Didn't realize my mistake until I was looking up St. George Creek (halfway to Piney Pt). I turned to troll my way back and caught my first and only striper of the day.

Definitely going back to fish that area soon.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X