Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member checking in and have a question

Hi All,

I have been fishing with my Pungo Kayak for years on the Potomac. I like to fish from the 340 bridge down to Brunswick. I catch a bunch of bass and have a great time. Admittedly, I haven't done the trip in a couple years, instead I have been wading in. My kayak friend bought a beach house so I lost the all necessary second car in the trip. Anyway, I found this site and figured I might be able to benefit from everyone eases knowledge.

When I bought my Pungo kayak, I was about 185 pounds. Now I weigh in at close to 220. I think I am getting close to the max weight on the Pungo. The Pungo is a sit inside with an open cockpit. It's very stable and cuts through the waves OK. I used to fish for strippers at Kent Narrows at night under the lights. I don't think they school up like they used to. It was a blast but I felt I was being sort of ballsy at the time anchoring under the bridge when the tide was running full steam ahead. I caught many many fish so I figured it was worth the effort and risk.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I'd like to ask what is a good kayak or style of kayak for fishing? I think everyone is using the sit on top ones now. How much does it cost to get fully set up? I would use the kayak in rivers and on the bay.

I'll start reading my way through the posts to get a feel for what type of fishing everyone is doing.

Thanks for any and all responses!
    Eric

I had a pungo 120 great river kayak. Used it once in the bay and sold it that weekend. Most of us use sit on top kayaks. It comes down to budget, use, and personal preference. Do you want a paddle yak or foot power. I like the Jackson line. So at your weight if it's bay fishing I like the cuda 14. I think someone on here made a website about this topic.
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
      Now that I'm older and wiser, I'd like to ask what is a good kayak or style of kayak for fishing? I think everyone is using the sit on top ones now. How much does it cost to get fully set up? I would use the kayak in rivers and on the bay.
      Sit on top is the way to go, add peddles for the win.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

You can get a complete set up used for 700-1100
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

If you have a Pungo 120 you have a long way to go on weight capacity 350 I think
          If you are going to anchor a very stable SOT would be safer
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

A complete setup for $700-$1000?. I wish, bought my cuda 14 3 weeks ago and still working on a complete setup. The addiction continues............
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

welcome!
              sigpic

Comment

welcome & best of luck!! the set up of your yak will evolve as your experience expands... tight lines & bent rods always!!

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                  A complete setup for $700-$1000?. I wish, bought my cuda 14 3 weeks ago and still working on a complete setup. The addiction continues............
                  I got a cuda 13 lowrance elite 4 and mata ray paddle plus rudder for that range from a member of this forum it was posted for weeks. Craigslist is full of deals too. Sometimes it's fun to go new when you had a few yaks and know what you want but if you wait you can get any yak for almost half price
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

Forgot to Welcome the new member as I am still a new member, welcome aboard.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I sent a PM the owner of the boat you bought, I could not get there till the weekend and he sold it to you. Oh Well. Still got one and love it.
                      Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                        I sent a PM the owner of the boat you bought, I could not get there till the weekend and he sold it to you. Oh Well. Still got one and love it.
                        It's a fast boat for being so big. Glad it worked out for you.
                        Cuda 14
                        Big tuna

Comment

It does cover a lot of water fast. I am glad I went with the Cuda 14 instead of a Cuda 12. Getting it on my Hullavator lift is a blast as well.
                          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                          X