No announcement yet.

Patapsco Perch Party 8/18/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I like to cook almost as much as I like to fish. I just watched AbuMasgouf's videos about cooking fish in a traditional Persian way. I have to try this. I am keeping the next striper I catch. This looks fantastic. Luckily my best friend is Persian and will be able to help me with obtaining these spices and the syrup. Nice job.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
      Ok, I like to cook almost as much as I like to fish. I just watched AbuMasgouf's videos about cooking fish in a traditional Persian way. I have to try this. I am keeping the next striper I catch. This looks fantastic. Luckily my best friend is Persian and will be able to help me with obtaining these spices and the syrup. Nice job.
      Hey Bakcdoc, Glad you enjoyed the videos and totally awesome to hear that you're going to try it yourself! It's my pleasure and honor that I get to spread the knowledge and culture I learned from my mother to others.

A small correction though, Masgouf is a traditional Iraqi not Persian (Iran) traditional way of cooking fish that dates back to the Babylonians. Although Iranians like to claim that they were the first to everything in that area and how they have 5000 years of history and all that...(It's ok I have Iranian ancestry mixed in so I get to job at them ) Masgouf was documented in the Fertile Crescent between the Tigris and Euphrates. That being said, you can easily find the spices at either Persian, or general Middle Eastern Grocery stores... and thanks to the smart business tactics of most Korean Grocery stores, you can find many of the ingredients there too! Man I love our country and especially this area. I can explore the cuisines and cultures of the whole world without buying an airplane ticket.

LOL! wow this turned into a little rant/tangent without me even realizing!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm always happy to help bro!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thread jacked! Lol
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

My ADD is in high gear. I read that as "Iran". Sorry for the mess up. I will be trying this in my backyard this weekend if the fish cooperate. I have some hickory and white oak firewood left over from last year. I see that you start with a fire and end with roasting coals. I will watch the videos again and hopefully I will have one of my own to post after the weekend. I too love this area and I love traditional cooking methods from other countries. Just let me know the spices if you can, and the name of the sauce. Thank you, great videos.

Comment

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I will go to private messages. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Thread jacked! Lol
              LOL!! My bad bro!

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
              My ADD is in high gear. I read that as "Iran". Sorry for the mess up. I will be trying this in my backyard this weekend if the fish cooperate. I have some hickory and white oak firewood left over from last year. I see that you start with a fire and end with roasting coals. I will watch the videos again and hopefully I will have one of my own to post after the weekend. I too love this area and I love traditional cooking methods from other countries. Just let me know the spices if you can, and the name of the sauce. Thank you, great videos.
              LOL! No worries bro. I just had the urge to correct it so when others read it they don't get it mixed up.

The easiest setup can be made using the hollow cinder blocks:
              P4271544.jpg

My go to Masgouf sauce consists of tamarind concentrate, water, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomatoes (or you can use tomato paste), and Iraqi Date syrup. Sometimes I dry rub some 'off the shelf' curry powder on the fish before I start. I add the sauce right when I lay the fish on the coals so it cooks a little.

If you can't find date syrup you can add honey or molasses to give it a little sweetness (I won't tell LOL)
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Haha, I don't care it's sort of relevant. I actually just grilled my perch and put old bay and Olive oil on it
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                X