CBBT May 30, 2015 - Disappointed. But found a good tog hole for fall trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT May 30, 2015 - Disappointed. But found a good tog hole for fall trips

Tufnik and I fished CBBT for flounder, sheepshead, spade fish and cobia. We didn't catch any flounders, sheepshead, spade fish, nor cobia. I thought flounder had been there at least. I guess I was wrong. I looked for cobia when the water was calm for 2 hours. I didn't see any signs of cobia on the surface.

We caught may little croakers and some toad fish.

I couldn't buy fiddler crab at Ocean East at 06:00AM. So I used pieces of live blue crabs (I brought 4 for cobia).

Somehow, I landed a tautog @24"+ . I caught another on @16-17" in the same hole immediately. Well we didn't catch any keepers. But I found a darn good tautog hole for the future tautog seasons.

I think I am going to ask John show me how to catch sand flee. Since I live far away, I have been always late for the last baits I wanted.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-31-2015, 11:20 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

CBBT Sat, 5-30-15

Met Joe at the launch site, and I was on the water before 8 am.

I also did some jigging, and yeah, it was suck flounder day. I spent most my time hanging sand fleas and clams in search of sheepshead. I caught dozens of small croaker (8" - 12") on bait and white bucktail. All C&R.

Ah, but the day was nice to fish. The morning water was pretty calm and the wind was light. At mid-afternoon, the winds and chops picked up pretty good though.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,

The rod on the video is Shimano Tescata TSC63MH (Braided:30-50LB, Jig weight: 200g (7 OZ), Power: medium heavy. Action: Fast).
      I carrying this one for CHSP and CBBT for summer from spot to Bull red.

I watched an additional video of the bridge pilings where I caught the big one. It seems that The pilings is about 5 bridge pilings from your spot - where I caught the last tog last time we were there. I need to confirm this by going through some archived videos.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-31-2015, 01:22 PM.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

We're catch them next week!

Comment

Nice tog, Joe. Too bad the season is closed until Sept.

You may have to buy one of those shovel sieves to collect sand fleas. Maybe John can tell us where the best place to find fleas. I do know you can get them along Chick's Beach.

If the Tescata is lighter than the Trevala S, then it's the one I'd like to get. I do like the action when I handled your Tescata, Joe, and it's $20 less than the Trevala S.

You know, I'm not sure it'll be prime time for flounder up to the 1st island until a few more weeks.

I heard good reports of sheeps at CBBT, but I think the good bites are beyond the 1st island. Maybe they are inside of the 1st island, and I just didn't work hard enough to find them.

I have many tog holes, Joe, and I lost track of them. I'll have to check my past notes before I start togging there again.

Comment

Flounder bite hasn't been full force at CBBT yet so people say. You can get them at Wise Pt though.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              Flounder bite hasn't been full force at CBBT yet so people say. You can get them at Wise Pt though.
              Yeah, but as you said, it'll cost about $30 total to cross the BB and pay the Wise parking fee. Heard anything about the bites at HRBT?

Comment

Thanks for the report guys. That sounds like a real monster tog. Sorry to hear about no really nice fish otherwise. I was stuck up here working all weekend (so would have been more upset to see an incredible report and been stuck here working).

-You are welcome to use my sandflea rake. I will bring it each time from now on until fall. I can guide you to the best spots, but it is a lot of work and my shoulders really do not look forward to throwing that rake around (I am still saving to repair my rotator cuff). It usually takes many rake throws to come up with some good sandfleas. I have talked to guys out there who threw their rakes around for a very long time and only got 1 or 2. I wish we lived closer to saltwater so I could keep bait alive. I found tons of green crabs under rocks up north and they seem to keep alive a little easier than fiddlers, but need easy access to saltwater when it is hot out.

Comment

Thank you, John.
                  I will try your rake.
                  Joe

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post

I have many tog holes, Joe, and I lost track of them. I'll have to check my past notes before I start togging there again.
                    I found the archived video of your last tog hole. The new one is 7th pilings to the beach from your last hole. I will let you know the holes next time.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X