Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargatha (3 flounder and a Thunderstorm) Sat 6-6-15

Gargatha (3 flounder and a Thunderstorm) Sat 6-6-15

I caught the incoming near the top of high tide so the ride out wasn't too bad just after 8 am.

Fished the usually spots. I mostly drifted the channel north of the inlet. Saw a couple boats pull up flounder. I was the only kayaker out there. I caught three flounder (two keepers at 16.5 and 17").

The day was partly cloudy with a forecast of isolated T-storms. Winds predicted about 10 kts.

Yeah, right. The isolated T-storms was isolated alright; isolated on me!

When coming in past mid-afternoon I had the outgoing tide, but the wind picked up and was helping push me in. I continued to fish. Then the rain suddenly came down; like cats and dogs. I was the only one out there (all the boats had already gone in). After a few minutes of rain, the chops picked up, and the rain came down harder. I could barely see 30 feet in front of me with all the rain. I kept pumping the mirage to get back in.

Then the hail came down. Most were less than the size of a dime. Seemed like every other hailstone was nickel-size; I could see the larger splashes hitting the water. They pelted me on my head, my arms, and legs, and it stung. Still, I pumped the mirage. Since I could barely read the FF, I couldn't tell the depth so I ran into the shallows several times. When I did hit ground, I vectored back toward the middle of the creek. Being about 150-200 ft wide, the twisty creek had many wide shallows to go around. That didn't help me. I was soaked, and it got cold.

After about 15 minutes of enduring the wet wrath of nature , the T-storm passed. I was relieved, and was then about a hundred yards from the launch. So, what did I do? I pulled out my rod and starting fishing again. After a few minutes of jigging the bucktail, the T-storm in the distance gave out several thunderous booms and lightning flashes. I think it was telling me to get out, so I packed up the rod and headed in. Still, as I loaded up the yak, the rain came back to remind me it was still around.

Oh, well. I had nice fish to take home
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Congrats on the delicious vittles you got to take home. King Neptune surely has his way of making ya earn it. The tales of fishermen are always fun to read.
    Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
    2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
    2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
    2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Good Job in catching flounder, and good decision, Efrin.
      Yes, lightening always scares me. My graphite rods are the only things stick out on the surface.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Great read Efrin! Thanks for the report
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nicely done and way to get through it.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Great report and good read. Thanks tufnik.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the report and pics
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X