Kayak Fishing Access for Northern VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing Access for Northern VA

I remember seeing a detailed post by someone for all things CBBT (i.e. access, parking, etc).

I was wondering if someone could provide me or the forum information on some Northern VA spots. I am looking to target Occoquan, Pohick Bay, Aquia and any others between DC and Fredericksburg. Hoping to get parking availability and water access spots and where how to get to them. I plan to bring my 14 and 11 year boys. We have been fishing Lake Brittle Germantown Lake over the last two years, ready to move into some moving waters. Target species can be anything but would love to get some time on Snakeheads.

Anything would be great. Thanks.

On iOS (not sure about Android), there is an app called Launch Site that shows most of the accessible public launch sites as well as some gray area ones as well. It tells you about fees, hours, details on the landing,etc. That may help.
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Thanks Dimo. I got the app for android and it appears to work pretty well. I am sure to use very soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Occoquan reservoir - fountain head park, bull run marina, or lake ridge park
        Ocooquan river - there's a park with launch right at the 123 bridge.
        Pohick park that part of the Potomac
        Mason neck park for the Belmont bay portion
        For Aquila theres a marina with $10 launch but i forgot the name. It's about mid river.

Comment

Thanks Hokie. Do you currently fish from any of these spots you listed? Any recommendations?

Just from a quick look I may shoot for Aquia Landing unless suggested otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Leesylvania is another spot you could try. I am pretty sure the launch was free and had a floating dock. Parking was somewhat limited from what I remember. We saw snakeheads there, but could not get them to bite anything. Leesylvania has a little current around the bridge and occasional guys flying around in their stupid little 200+hp bass boats.

Pohick would probably be the safest spot to target snakeheads with young kids. Just make sure you tell them not to try and stand up if they fall in. The muck will grab your feet and not let go. Some guy did unfortunately get sucked into the muck out there a couple years ago and did not survive.

Occoquan is frequented by the same bass boat guys in addition to the parade of 'yachts' NoVA folks have stored at the marinas back in there. Occoquan is pretty nice even with the boat traffic. The majority of boaters are nice, you should only occasionally run into obnoxious bass boat guys that think they own the place just like any other place along the Potomac.

Comment

I have a private access point that has parking and a boat ramp into the Occoquan River. If anyone is interested in doing some fishing just let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X