Kiptopeke this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiptopeke this weekend

Going on my first kayak trip to the Bay this weekend. Going to fish around the concrete ships. Very excited, its hard to concentrate at work becauce all I can think about is fishing. Is anyone having any luck around the ships?
    13.5 Feel Free Lures

Was just there last weekend. Flounder were hard to come by but we got a few. Croakers were thick 10-20 feet out from the ships most in the 11-13 inch range and weakfish of the same size right under the ships.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Well I wanted to fish saturday afternoon but traffic on 64 messed that up. Fished Sunday morning, this was may first trip to the ships so I spent an hour exploring. Ancored at the most northern ship and caught three small flounder right off the bat. Thought it was going to be a great day but the tide changed and the flounder got lock jaw. Did catch some nice 14" to 16" croaker. Had a great time, planning another trip middle of next month.
      13.5 Feel Free Lures

Comment

16" is a nice croaker! Hopefully it wasn't those spot tail croakers...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          16" is a nice croaker! Hopefully it wasn't those spot tail croakers...
          No these were croakers. Seems like all I can catch is croakers this year. Of coarse they were the biggest ones I caught in years. Hopefully those spot tails will be coming through when I go back in late Sept or maybe some bigger flounder.
          13.5 Feel Free Lures

Comment

Just got back from two days camping at Kipto. I fished the afternoon and evening both days with cobia and bulls as the targeted species. I caught around 10 sharks the first night and around 14 last night. The currents have been ripping, the strongest I have ever experience. I did hook up with something last night that was spooling my Stradic 6000, while pulling the anchored yak over 200 yards. The fish took off on a screaming run with the current and never let off the gas. I knew if I came off anchor ( the only way to crank myself to the fish), that he would have me to the CBBT in no time flat. Finally it came unbuttoned, I was expecting a line or knot, but to my surprise it broke the #8 Gamakatsu circle hook into! Really would like to know what it was. Definitely not a ray, much to fast of a run...was Mary Lee around? Lol By the way, most boaters are having the same luck. The cobia are following the sharks in, but will not take anything thrown at them. The sharks are big and nasty 4 footers, so some serious pullage, but tough on the tackle box.

Comment

Gary -

You sure had an exciting time catching that many large fish. An 8-ft bull shark was caught in a net in the Potomac two days ago. Maybe you encountered a relative.

I saw some bottlenose dolphins in the Kiptopeke area last Wed. I have never heard of anglers hooking dolphins, but they are strong enough to pull like you described.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There was plenty of dolphin out there last Sunday. One got close enough to splash me when he jumped out of the water. I also have never heard of any body snagging one. They are very smart, we see them all the time trolling for strippers. I run 18 lines out the back of the boat and never even had one touch a line.
                13.5 Feel Free Lures

Comment

All I can say is, if it was a dolphin, he was the World Champ at holding his breath lol. My guess is a big dusky or hammerhead. I have caught a 5-6 ft. blacktip in the yak a couple of years ago. This fish was twice as powerful. Capt. Kenny (Fish Freaks) caught a 7-8 ft dusky in the same area about a month earlier, so they are around.

Comment

I've heard of guys snagging suckers while trolling for strippers.....but never dolphins. Of course. ..no personal experience.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                    X