Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Sheepie, Bull Red, Black Drum & Spadefish (CBBT, Sep 7, 2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sheepie, Bull Red, Black Drum & Spadefish (CBBT, Sep 7, 2015)

I wish I caught them all. *They were caught by kayakers close by.

I didn't think I could fish while working during the Labor Day weekend. *Saturday in the morning I could fish the local water while some jobs were running for 8 hours. *So I went to Breezy Point Marina for possible Spanish mackerel. *After driving for an hour and 10 minutes, at the Tyler's Tackle and Baits, *I saw a flag on a high pole. *The wind was over 20 knots I thought. *So I made a U turn and came back home.

I finished my work earlier than predicted in the Sunday night. *When I got up at 1 AM on Monday, I changed my mind because the wind was down. I decided to fish CBBT. * After taking out light tackles, I loaded the truck with the same tackles I used weeks ago. * I usually perform tackle maintenance after each trip. *But not this time. *I wasn't supposed to be fishing. *I postponed the maintenance. Anyway what I forgot was that I needed to replace the reel (Abu Garcia) because the handle was a little loose and I felt the gears inside were slipping during the last trip. *While driving to Ocean East tackle and baits, I thought the reel would be OK for one more trip.

I arrived at Ocean East at 5:20 AM, and bought the last dozen of fiddler crab and clams. *Later I found that only a few locals had plenty of fiddler crab and the rest of us had clams only. *I thought the locals bought fiddler crab days before. *

I met about 6 kayakers. *And 4 of them and I fished nearby.

Early in the morning, I broke a rod tip (Shimano Tescata) by running into a bridge column. *So I fished the rod with the bad reel.

Two guys were live-lining croaker for cobia whole day. *They caught 3 red drum @26, 28 and a 52-53 incher. * My fiddler crab lasted for an hour due to toad fish, black sea bass and pig fish. *So I fished with clam for sheepies.

My first sheepie hit the clam 6-10' below the surface when I was retrieving the rig mindlessly. *It was a real big one. *My reel, Abu Garcia, broke that time. *The nuts for handle and a bolt securing the nut came off. *And the gears inside the reel were slipping. *I couldn't crank the line in when the sheepie was on. *What a perfect timing I cried. *The sheepie wrapped around a bridge column eventually, and the leader got cut off. * So I assembled a new rod and reel combo (ShimanoTrevela S and Pflueger Supreme - (a $90 reel but it's been a workhorse)).

A guy caught a small sheepie @19-20". * *One kayaker fishing for spadefish, landed a trophy sheepie on a #4 hook and a clam that was aimed for spadefish. *He said he could land it because the sheepie hit the clam 5' below the surface and he could get away from the bridge pilings. *So I learned that sheepie do hit few feet below the surface. *So next time, I am planning to bring up the sheepie rig slowly all the way to the surface expecting a strike in the entire water column.

I landed a black drum on clam. That was my high light. *This year I am having a huge issue with landing fish almost every time I fish. *I will change the trend next time.

Regarding traffic on 64 and 95 when I came back:
    I left the launch site at 6 PM and the traffic was actually lighter than Saturday. *I thought everybody left for home early from VA Beach. There were 30 minute delay between Exit 130 to 495 (Wash D.C. Beltway) on 95. *I was pleased. *From now on, after Labor day, the traffic will be lighter when I come back from CBBT.

Fishing log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-09-2015, 07:33 AM. Reason: adding more info
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

A busy day of catching all around. Hopefully the winds lay down in the near future, because I'm itching for a big drum or two.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

You sure are having tough luck this year, but nice job on the black drum and release!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great vid. Sorry about the rod and reel.

I was supposed to leave for New England, but my trip had to be delayed for family emergency. I have to stay south for a while now...hoping to maybe hit Cbbt this weekend if I can get away. Sheepie and red fishing seems to be picking up. My friend also got a 23.5 sheepie there yesterday morning.

Comment

Man, sorry to hear about the rod and reel. When it rains it pours sometimes. But it's good to see some quality fish are being pulled up!
          Brian

Comment

That was a big red the guy in the blue kayak pulled up. What was up with the other big red underneath his boat?
            Sucks about your reel...
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

That happened to me too. My Curado handle broke off while the flounder was half way up. I managed to land it by easliy hand pulling the line. Too bad you lost a big sheep.

Anyway, nice drum, tofu of the sea...lol...
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                That was a big red the guy in the blue kayak pulled up. What was up with the other big red underneath his boat?
                Sucks about your reel...
                He kept a 26 inch red caught earlier. His friend also had a 26 incher on a stringer. I didn't mention on my initial post about his friend's catch. The were fishing for for Cobia. Reds were the by catch.

joe
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I should be able to get fiddlers this weekend even if OE is sold out. Could pick some up for you if you head down, just let me know. I am planning to fish Sunday and maybe saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    I should be able to get fiddlers this weekend even if OE is sold out. Could pick some up for you if you head down, just let me know. I am planning to fish Sunday and maybe saturday.
                    John,
                    it is a great idea that the first person get there buy fiddler crab for latecomers. HokieDJ and I do that.
                    Though I can't fish CBBT this coming weekend.

Tufnik will fish on Saturday.

Joe

Comment

John, I can fish tomorrow.

I am planning to be at OC at 05:15 AM.
                      Give me a call today because I don't have your number. Or PM me.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X