2015 CCA Red Trout Catch & Release Tourney - Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 CCA Red Trout Catch & Release Tourney - Report

This tourney was held in Crisfield, MD on September 19th and 20th. There were over 100 registered anglers and the entire Chesapeake Bay was open to fish with the primary species being speckled trout and reds. Your biggest cumulative stringer over the course of both days was measured. Hemminway (Gary) and I had been watching the winds like a hawk all week and knew that if they stayed under 15 mph, we had a good chance of not only winning the kayak division, but putting together a stringer that likely couldn't be beat by anyone. After a catered dinner on Friday (part of the $100 entry fee), we headed south...way south. After napping for a few hours and a sketchy waffle house breakfast, we hit the CBBT at 0530 to light winds and no waves.

Once 0630 rolled around, we easily caught a Hobie Livewell full of croaker and headed for our destination. It took virtually no time and my live croaker was moving faster than a croaker can move on his own. I let the bull take him for a few seconds and then it was game on.

After a 10 minute tussle, I boated a solid 40 incher to get on the board.

Not 10 minutes later, my next croaker gets absolutely slammed and I could tell that this fish had some shoulders. As I began to settle in for a longer than normal fight, I hear a bunch of screams and hoots, as everyone around me hooks up. I believe there were 6 of us hooked up, spinning in circles and getting pulled around all at once. After about 15 minutes of a "Please, Lord let my knots hold" kind of battle, I boated my largest red to date at 52". However, I couldn't get the fish on my hog trough, beside the CCA ruler, and keep the identifier in the pic (a poker chip) and still manage to get the entire fish in the pic. I received credit for 49.5 of the 52 inches, so it wasn't too bad. I had to show them several burst pics to prove the head was in the correct position. He was a beast. I also got an really cool release shot that I am very pleased with.

After I got this pic, Gary was yelling for a hand. He had an absolute pig bull red clamped off to his anchor trolley waiting for a picture. It was his first bull red after 20+ trips; most with me. This was the hardest earned fish I have ever witnessed caught. He earned this fish more than anyone has earned anything. Way to go man. I don't have the picture, but it was a gorgeous red.

Before the hour ended, I landed another two reds. One more at 45" and a very ambitious 34" that ate a giant live croaker and fought like a 45" inch fish. Here is the last pic of the 45".

So after Day 1, Gary and I were sitting pretty. So on Day 2, we moved onto specs. Mike (Grilled), Matt (CB kayak 02), Shane Clift (Reelaxin10), Gary and I launched very close to Crisfield trying to beat a 17.5 inch speck that was currently in first. Well it didn't take Shane long to do that. As we were trolling out, I turned around to hear a huge splash and watched him land a FAT 23.5 inch speck! At least he did it in the first five minutes so, we all knew we stood zero chance.

After the weigh-in on Sunday, it was pretty clear that our Hobie/Snaggedline crew did well. I took home the win for the largest three fish stringer, the largest red, and first in the kayak division. Shane won the award for the largest speck and we finished in positions 4-8 in the Crisfield Slam. We all got a lot of really nice gear from Yeti Coolers to custom rods, costa sunglasses and a couple of really cool paintings from an artist in Miami (Eric Estrada). I have to give props to CCA for putting on a great local tourney, providing a catered meal each night, and collecting some really nice prizes. I highly encourage anyone interested to attend next year.

Here are a few more pics from the final day....

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Badass!!! This is exactly why I need to close up shop and dedicate myself full time to catching up to this kind of competition!
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Awesome! It takes some talent and luck getting good pictures of fish that size on a yak. I've struggled with upper 30s fish and even moreso with the few fish I've caught in the 40s, I can't imagine a 50+" fish!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, it was tough. We were joking that the identifier on Sunday would probably be a marble!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I wonder how many of those chips ended up in the water
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You guys did a nice job!
            I actually didn't fish out of a kayak on this one, but rather teamed up with Walleye Pete for this trip. Going into the event, I didn't realize how rare reds were. In the previous 2 years, I'd been told that not a single one had been caught. So you guys driving 100 miles south gave yourselves the best shot at 'em, so good planning.

The red I hooked into actually came on my second cast of the day, and little did I know, the first ever caught in the tournament. Heck, I went down there thinking there were a ton and we'd have fun catching bunch of 'em. But sheesh, that one fish alone was worth the trip! It was a 47 incher caught on a jig. Gary, congrats on putting the work in for those fish. It's nice to see guys get their catch after earning it. It just goes to show how rare they are.

We caught more stripers than I even care to think about. They were everywhere but the biggest two were 24", so they weren't massive by any stretch, but many were keeper size or just close. We also caught dozens of specs, just no keeper size. Blues were everywhere as well. They just demolish everything in their path.

Overall our team won the boat division, and got our names engraved on the trophy for winning the Crisfield Slam. We also took the Calcutta. We came home with a LOT of awesome stuff!

There were lots of good anglers there and it was a pleasure to get to know many of them better.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Nice work. Were the boats limited to launching out of Crisfield only. I am surprised someone didn't tow down to the CCBT. 23" speck is a real nice fish for this year. biggest I herd of in md part of the bay.

Comment

You guys had me a little nervous on Sunday. I thought there was a chance you would find a bigger red before the wind picked up. I did catch a red the first year of the tourney, but it was only 20", so you most def caught one of the first Bulls! I was really hoping I could win the slam and I really don't know how I couldn't find two keeper stripers, but I wasn't too upset. We all walked away with a lot of nice gear. Good going guys!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Widgeon View Post
                  Nice work. Were the boats limited to launching out of Crisfield only. I am surprised someone didn't tow down to the CCBT. 23" speck is a real nice fish for this year. biggest I herd of in md part of the bay.
                  They could have gone anywhere in the bay also. A lot of boaters I talked to on Sunday were under the impression there where reds around the Crisfield area; which isn't really the case.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                    You guys had me a little nervous on Sunday. I thought there was a chance you would find a bigger red before the wind picked up. I did catch a red the first year of the tourney, but it was only 20", so you most def caught one of the first Bulls! I was really hoping I could win the slam and I really don't know how I couldn't find two keeper stripers, but I wasn't too upset. We all walked away with a lot of nice gear. Good going guys!
                    We actually punted on looking for a bigger red because it wouldn't have done us much good to use the little bit of time before the wind picked up. We were more concerned with getting a bigger striper. We had a pair of 22's" but really thought we needed to upgrade because your red was a little bigger, so if you got a keeper we would have had to hope your blue was smaller or had a smaller spec (which we couldn't get a keeper). We really wanted that slam too so that's what we focused on the second day, upgrades. So we went after the early morning striper bite and had success pretty quickly, upgrading to a pair of 24s", and we had a nice blue already so we were really hoping you guys didn't find specs/stripers of great size...at least from a tournament perspective. Personally, I was pumped to know Shane got a nice spec. We hit specs hard, catching dozens but no keepers for us! In the end, it made no difference but the suspense was fun.

But yeah, we all walked away with awesome prizes and I'm sure we all pushed ourselves just a little further to try and get the next fish. It was fun.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Way to go fellas! It looks like the kayakers cleaned house again in this tournament!

And sooooo happy to here Gary got a bull. He sure has put in his time for one. Congrats, brother! Hope I'm there to see many more come your way!
                      Brian

Comment

Nice work fellas.. way to represent snaggedline/kayakers

Comment

Thanks guys, it has been a quest worth every second. And here she is!

Gary's Red.jpg

Comment

Congratulations to all nice fish.
                            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats again. Glad I was there to experience it.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X