Advice for New Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for New Adventure

I'm looking to develop some summer plans and I'm always looking for new fishing adventure. I'm wondering if there is good fishing to be had around the Virginia Seaside Water Trail and the southern barrier islands. If so, I'm wondering whether it is possible to park overnight somewhere and camp on one of those islands or whether one might get carried off by giant mosquitoes. I also wonder whether First Landing State Park and the CBBT might be a better adventure or maybe Kiptopeke State Park for access to both the bay and relative proximity to water trail to the east.

I know that is a lot to wonder about, but if you are familiar with any of these or have an even better idea, I sure would appreciate any advice you are willing to give. I'll fish for anything really and have a good bit of time in the summer to do it.
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Access to the barrier islands is very limited in general and I know of only 1 island where you could camp last time I checked. Kipto or 1st landing would be good places to camp, but yes the mosquitoes and biting black flies will likely be an issue. Conditions at cbbt can be sketchy and change quickly. Keep a close eye on forecasts and current flow predictions, especially around full moon periods. Be real careful if you head out there alone. Post when you are heading down and maybe find one of the experienced cbbt guys to go out there with you. Lots of good info and links if you search old posts on here. Plenty of other easier/less dangerous spots on both sides with good fishing too.

Comment

Unless you have experience fishing the sea side bays, I'd suggest your camping/touring/fishing adventure take place on the ESVA Chesapeake Bay side. Less current, specks, puppy drum, and rock available to catch and the camping is easier.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I do want to be careful as I sort of find my limits. I do have to watch currents paddling a Ride 135. The strongest current for me at this point was probably getting pretty close to the OC inlet at and inside the 50 bridge after one too many flounder drifts as the current got ripping. I've paddle in the Atlantic at Hilton Head, but that was in the calm of the early morning. I will likely try to get at least a couple of days at each of First Landing and Kiptopeke, but will post to look for company if possible. I'd love to get into the ocean up here, but I've no idea if that's a reasonable goal so I'll inch my way toward it or look for advice telling me to pick a new goal.

I spent Saturday morning on the Susquehanna flats throwing creature baits into weeds looking for LMB. Unfortunately I only managed to land two but lost a couple of others including one that felt very, very large in the weeds. The two I did get were good thick 16 and 17.5's. The weather and wind conditions could not have been better. It was a wonderfully relaxing day on the water despite the light catch.
        Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
        2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Working...
        X