First tog of 2018 (Feb 24 at CBBT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First tog of 2018 (Feb 24 at CBBT)

The water temp readings of the NOAA buoys at CBBT, Kipto and the Ocean near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay indicated that it was about the time for togging.
    So I fished first time since Jan 20th when I got skunked in 39 F water at CBBT.
    I caught 6 tautog at 13", 14", 15", 15", 19" and 20".

Video Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Way to break the ice!

I'm curious why you use a hi-lo rig this time of year? Do you ever get any tog doubles using a hi-lo rig?

When I first started tog fishing I used a hi-lo, but never got any doubles using it. To me the second hook just seemed like one more thing to snag the structure with and I went through bait faster. Now I only ever use a single hook.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      Way to break the ice!

I'm curious why you use a hi-lo rig this time of year? Do you ever get any tog doubles using a hi-lo rig?

When I first started tog fishing I used a hi-lo, but never got any doubles using it. To me the second hook just seemed like one more thing to snag the structure with and I went through bait faster. Now I only ever use a single hook.
      Bob,
      I used the hi-lo rig only when I am desperate or where snagging isn’t expected.
      I definitely don’t attempt to use double hooks in OC inlet and at CHSP unless I am very desparate. 70% of the bridge pylon at CBBT is safe for double hooks because the underwater structures are few feet away from the pylons.
      Because of the additional bait on the rig, I use heavier sinker and I use it during the mild current.

When using two baits, I have one more chance for setting the hook. And, also I know the preferable distance from the sinker to the bait. Last week I hooked 5 on the top baits, while hooked only one on the bottom bait. Once I know the preferable distance, I ususallyremove one hook that doesn’t produce.

So, I make my rig with two loops for two hooks. But I may use only one hook on the top or bottom once I locate the fish.
      At CBBT, the hi-lo rig made a big difference to me.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
      X