Reds in the Shallows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds in the Shallows

I fished from about 4:00 PM until 7:15 PM on Friday as the tide started to bottom out. The water was stained brown from the recent rainfall. I caught about 15 reds with the largest being 18.25", 18.5", 18.5", 19",and 24". The 24" fish looked like it was struck or attacked by something on the top of the head. The 24" was also tagged, so I'm looking forward to that report. All fish were caught using shrimp. I think that the air temperatures warmed up the shallow sections enough in Rudee to turn the bite on. South facing sections with small channels that are deep enough for only kayaks have been the most productive lately.

Zombiefish1.jpg
    J

Originally posted by Jman View Post
    I fished from about 4:00 PM until 7:15 PM on Friday as the tide started to bottom out. The water was stained brown from the recent rainfall. I caught about 15 reds with the largest being 18.25", 18.5", 18.5", 19",and 24". The 24" fish looked like it was struck or attacked by something on the top of the head. The 24" was also tagged, so I'm looking forward to that report. All fish were caught using shrimp. I think that the air temperatures warmed up the shallow sections enough in Rudee to turn the bite on. South facing sections with small channels that are deep enough for only kayaks have been the most productive lately.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23119[/ATTACH]
    What region is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinAnAdvntr View Post
      What region is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This is in Virginia Beach.
      J

Comment

nice vid! Have you had any luck with artificials?

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
          nice vid! Have you had any luck with artificials?
          Thank you! I've used shrimp and paddle tail-style artificial lures with success previously. When specks are around I will use the artificial lures more and when the blues move in, I'll have to come up with a new plan to avoid the tail-less paddle tails!
          J

Comment

Sweet! I'm keeping my eye on the weather and might try my luck Sunday. I'll definitely get some scrimps to go along with some paddle tails and Gulp Shrimp lures.

Comment

Kipto Skunk & Rudee Puppies

Kipto Skunk & Rudee Puppies

On Mar 24, the day after Jake's fishing, I went to Chic's Beach (for CBBT launch), Rudee boat ramp, Kiptopeke State Park, and Rudee. Skunked at Kiptopeke. Arrived at Rudee at 4 PM. I caught 9 puppies at 16-27". Three largest were 18.5", 25.5", and 27". Jake came fished a few hours and left. I caught several puppies at his spot.

On the video, I put some text messages between Jake (Jman) and me that day. All fish on the video weren't from Jake's spot.

Video Fishing Report:

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Zman paddletail will withstand MANY MANY bluefish bites. I couldn't believe it either but used them for Jbay last year and they are amazingly tough. https://zmanfishing.com/cms/products/swimmerz/

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                Thank you! I've used shrimp and paddle tail-style artificial lures with success previously. When specks are around I will use the artificial lures more and when the blues move in, I'll have to come up with a new plan to avoid the tail-less paddle tails!
                2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                X