Reds April 11, 12, 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds April 11, 12, 14

I fished on the above days at Rudee for a variety of species (Blues, Flounder, Reds, and Specks). I found one baby croaker that looked like it may have been attacked by another fish and I caught around 4 crabs (unintentionally). I caught well over 20 reds including one tagged red.IMG-1595.jpg

My reds were caught using the same shrimp and bobber/popping cork technique I've been using lately, which required some strategic positioning and frequent casting because of the high SW winds we have experienced here lately.

I used a different headlamp that was stronger than my other ones and I was able to spot reds in the shallow sections, which was great to find them in some new spots that I am going to try on my next trips.

Video:
    J

Jake,

Nice catching.

My first and only experience with a popping cork was last fall in TX. I was in a boat, not a kayak. I caught specks and reds with it, many more specks than reds. I did not use shrimp under it. I dangled various soft plastics under the cork on a jig.

Will you use lures with your cork when the weather warms?

It's an effective method but I found it very tiring to do for extended periods because it takes a lot of energy to cast the cork and chug it through the water.

Nevertheless, I brought a cork home. It's called a Cajun Thunder. In addition to making a commotion on the surface it makes a clacking noise that supposedly draws fish to it. I figured I'll try it on stripers here in the mid to upper portions of the Bay.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark! I started off using soft plastics with Pro Cure, but I was curious if a whole shrimp would work. The crabs are starting to wake up from their slumber, so I anticipate switching over to artificial lures soon. I have one of the Cajun Thunder rigs too and they're pretty effective. I agree that they can be exhausting to cast and retrieve frequently. I know a lot of folks like to use that rig for specks, but I'm not sure what the speck population is at Rudee at the moment. We've only seen a few specks caught since the cold stun.

I look forward to seeing how the popping cork works with the stripers up there.
      J

Comment

I'm familiar with tagged fish, but unfamiliar with the proper rules. Are you remove the tag and return to DNR? Is there a reward? Are you able to harvest the fish if legal, or does the tag inherently mean C&R only? I'll admit i'm not as informed as I probably should be.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

In Virginia, tagged fish are reported via the Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program (VGFTP).
          When you submit the report you have the option to indicate if you released the fish with the tag, without the tag, or if the fish was killed. You are allowed to harvest legal tagged fish. The tag has a unique ID number associated with it and a phone number to call. They have incentives for returning tags, such as t-shirts, hats, pins, and etc. You also receive a report that has information about the history of the fish, which in my opinion is the best part of finding a tagged fish.
          J

Comment

Nice work on the pups. Catching a tagged fish is always cool!

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
            I'm familiar with tagged fish, but unfamiliar with the proper rules. Are you remove the tag and return to DNR? Is there a reward? Are you able to harvest the fish if legal, or does the tag inherently mean C&R only? I'll admit i'm not as informed as I probably should be.
            You can harvest the fish (if legal) or release it. It's up to you. You can release it with the tag or without it too. Depending on who tagged it, yes, you sometimes get a reward. I've gotten hats, t-shirts, and a patch for calling in the info from tagged fish and sharks. The info you get back is the best part though; seeing where the fish has gone and how long it's been tagged.

The tag on Jman's fish looks fairly new. If the tag has been in the fish for a while there is usually algae or plant growth on the tag. In those instances its hard to read the tag info without cutting it off the fish.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Nice work on the pups. Catching a tagged fish is always cool!

The tag on Jman's fish looks fairly new. If the tag has been in the fish for a while there is usually algae or plant growth on the tag. In those instances its hard to read the tag info without cutting it off the fish.
              Thanks, it looks new because I had to wipe all the gunk off of it! I try to get a photo of the tag, so I can leave it in and more information can be learned about the fish.
              J

Comment

It's tough out there.

Thanks for the info. I will limit the number of fishing spots, and concentrate.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                X