4/21-22 Elizabeth River and Rudee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/21-22 Elizabeth River and Rudee

Was in Norfolk for the weekend visiting the in-laws but was able to sneak away for a couple hours. Fished the Elizabeth River for the first time Saturday. Launched near the top of the incoming and fished through the slack into the outgoing without much of an idea of what to expect. Found some schoolie rockfish hanging on points in both the main river and some of the larger branches, landed 4 and lost a few others casting and trolling swimming mullets and paddle tails.

Hit Rudee first thing Sunday. Should have known better than to go there on a nice weekend morning but stuck around dodging boats and other kayakers. Must have been near the bottom of the tide when I launched and was incoming when I left. Saw a few rat reds caught early, found a few shad and lost a tiny speck beside the yak but it was a slow for me and everyone else I saw. Also saw a mid 20 inch sickly looking blue cruising the surface near the aquarium.

Thanks for the report. That's good news that the racer blues are showing up. The water temperatures were plateaued for a bit.
    J

Comment

I guess it about time to give up specks for this year. The deep freeze in Dec/Jan does have a huge impact on Speck population. The fish (speck) kill is hurting Rudee and Lynhaven fishing. I don't think speck will show up upper and mid bay this year.

Regarding Rudee, it has been tough after the 3 weeks of good puppy run. Even though it is a small area, you need the local knowledge. I heard one big bluefish showed up last Saturday. I hope big bluefish move in by this coming weekend.

Joe.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
      X