Taking a kid on kayak to Pohick Bay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a kid on kayak to Pohick Bay.

I'm going to camping this weekend to Pohick Bay with my family. While I'm there, I was thinking to take my kid on kayak with me. My kayak, Viking Profish 400, is not a tendem kayak, but it seems to have enough space at least for a small kid.

This is not the same kayak I have, but very similar. Mine is a bit wider.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPAFdKu_Scs

I'll have a kid at a time and have them wear a PFD for sure. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

Also, I'd like to try a bit of fishing with them on kayak. I'm not looking to catch a big fish of course, but just enough for them to have fun. What kind of tackle should I use? Since my movement will be limited, just throw a worm with a bobber? Any advice will be appricated!
    Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Pohick Bay is an interesting area. If you fish close in to the weeds and grass with bass fishing gear use frogs and buzz baits. You may be lucky and catch a few snakehead. There are some monsters in there.

Go towards the shallow areas and fish weed lines etc.

There is a healthy bass population in the Potomac as well.

Comment

Actually I'm hoping not to catch a monster snakehead when I'm with my kids on kayak. If I do, I'm afraid my kids might freak out. Maybe a baby snakehead might be good.
      Thanks for your advice.
      Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

I just wanted to share my outing from last weekend with my kids.
        I took my two kids (7yrs and 4 yrs) to Pohick Bay last Saturday. The weather was nice and sunny. It was a beautiful day. In the first place, I was quite nervous about having a kid on kayak with me, but after trying each kid, I found out that it was pretty stable. I ended up having my two kids together with me. My son was sometimes out of control and it freaked me out a few times, but for the most part, it was a very nice experience. Also, we threw a chicken bait while padding around and didn't expect anything, but to our surprise, we caught a nice blue catfish.
        Overall my kids and I were very happy. If you have small kids and haven't had a chance to take them out with you, I'd recommend trying it as long as weather and all other conditions are permited. IMG_0220 (1).jpgIMG_2266.jpg
        Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Daniel,
          Taking kids to fishing, especially kayak fishing was very rewarding experience to me. I made this video in 2010 when introducing my neighbors' kids to kayak fishing. I think everything is depending on the adult. The adults set the tone.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-20-2018, 09:47 AM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe,

Fantastic job and tips.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Joe, thanks for the tips. I think I should teach them how to get back up to kayak, too.
              Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Daniel - I think I was launching my Pro Angler as you were pulling out for the day around 145pm.

I had the very large red truck.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                X