A day early...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day early...

Went down to try for some cobia and reds after seeing some amazing reports from the NC guys and watching water temps the last two weeks figured oh well at least we will have a red or three in the mix with maybe a suit or two and that almost came true! After soaking some bait for a bit in a well known spot we finally had our first take... A nice southern stingray to start the day! A few hours later and I. Annoyed and ready to start looking for reds and can't sit on anchor anymore. ( for those that know me they know I can't sit still when it looks like you can spot a red at any second lol) but we didnt leave and we're just about to change spots when Noah's spit starts getting nervous and dances so I stand up to see what's happening and his rod screams bloody murder! All of a sudden I see the larger or the two just 5 feet off my stern! Still with two lines out I grab my 1 ounce jig with a 6" opening night paddle tail and log her out the back about ten feet past her nose and start the heart pounding retrieve.... Noah is still hooked up at thing point with two rods out (he was fishing 3 because it had been slooooow all day) last time he does that he said after lol anyway halfway thru my cast the big girl dives before I can get my jig close enough and was gone.... Bummer. Oh well, he is still hooked up so I pull off anchor after getting my 2 lines in and proceed to make sure he stays on anchor so that I can handle his 2 rods that are still out and somehow have not tangled in his line with the cobia on it. Two minutes later and we're all clear I get him off anchor and leader his Fish into my boat and the typical tells and whoops of joy ensue! We were really close to the rocks at that moment so we took him over for a good photo and to film and underwater release (which didn't pan out lol) but either way here she is, 45 inches and I had an awesome look at one 55 inch plus but the main reason we were there was to get Noah a big fish under his belt in the kayak be it red, black, blue, striped, or brown suited and we finally accomplished that mission! After him watching me catch a red first trip and him getting spooled and me feeling like a douche cause the main reason we were going was to get him some fish I am thankful to say it all worked out and the eastern shore has officially ruined another person's life by presenting them with a lifetime of amazing fishing! Oh yeah Im actually going to post a photo for a change... Don't get used to it haha I'm not the best with cameras but I am going to try to be better this year!!! 3459.jpg
    Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Congrats, sounds like you made a nice memory that you and him will always have.

Comment

Congrats man that's a beautiful fish! I've been skunked the past three days (w/ cobia), but missed two hookups after a long, long run. I did manage to catch my personal best sea turtle, while croaker fishing and I hope I never hook one again.
      Turtle.jpg
      J

Comment

Way to go Joe. I’m sure your buddy was pumped!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Great story! It's so much fun when you're sight casting to them...especially a big one! Congrats on what must've been an awesome trip.

Comment

Nice work bud. Better a day early then a day late! I chomping at the bit to go, but can't find the time right now!
            Brian

Comment

Thanks guys! An awesome day it was!
              Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Working...
              X