Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice at Chincoteague and Assateague fishing - Kayak, charter, surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice at Chincoteague and Assateague fishing - Kayak, charter, surf?

Hi all,

I'm heading down to stay on Chincoteague for the 4th of July week and generally want to include some fun fishing while I am there. I can take the kayaks down, charter a boat, surf fish, or peer fish. I prefer action over days searching for the "one big one". Anyone have experience in that area? What would you recommend at this time of year? If I take the kayaks, is there anywhere you would recommend or any guides that maybe I should hire?

Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever I go, I now call Captain Steve's in Chincoteague to get a charter. Jimmy has found me a couple of charters now and I'd go back to him again.

Comment

I'll second stopping into Captain Steve's if you want charter advice or recommendations.

There are several public fishing piers in town where you can catch the usual summer fare of flounder, croakers, toadfish, small sea bass, skates, dogfish, or crabs. You can also get sheepshead and tog (tog season will open back up July 1) if you target them.

From the surf you can expect kingfish, maybe some snapper blues, and some flounder. A chunk of meat will surely find you some sharks and stingrays to pull in. With beach closures on Assateague because of bird nesting there isn't a ton of room for fishing from the parking lot areas during the days with swimmers and beach goers. So it's usually easiest to surf fish in the morning or evening hours. Or if you have an OSV permit, they now have a north access that is supposed to be open all year that'll get you away from the swimmers.

There are quite a few public ramps on the island to launch the kayaks from. And a lot of places to explore once your out. For fishing, you'll mostly find flounder and croakers or sheepshead and tog if you fish structure.
      Brian

Comment

Deacon,
        I fish CI regularly from a skiff and Kayak. This past weekend I put in at the American Legion on an outgoing tide and fished all the way to Curtis Merrit Harbour via Kayak (a couple miles). Wife and I probably caught 25 flounder on the trip while jigging gulp. Hug the island side fishing 50' off the piers +-, this will keep you at an edge that follow the island. Trip cut short at the end when I hooked a skate and went for a ride.

If I were you I would use the Kayak, save the charter money for dinner. A good Kayak trip on an outgoing is to launch at the High School, fish the channel up to the bridge. Follow the bridge pilings to the causeway crossing Blacks Narrows. Jig every piling with gulp and spro bucktails. Good, easy, cheap fishing.

Captain Steve's is a great source for gear and info. Jimmy knows how I fish and rig and will set you up if you want to try the flounder jigging thing. I should be off the week of July15-20 and fishing. Look for a Carolina Skiff with 1 old guy and two dogs ( 1-English Pointer,1 Curly Coated Retriever). They are always with me.
        Enjoy,
        Mark

Comment

Marks advise on CI is spot on I fish the same areas and launching across from Highschool is best option on outgoing. And Jimmy will set you up with what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
          X