CBBT Sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Sheep

Really good weather window lately for fishing at the CBBT. Decided to see if the water cleared at all from last week, because the water was so dirty previously. To our good fortune, the water clarity was much improved. Landed a 23" Sheepshead on a fiddler crab at the tail-end of the outgoing tide. We switched over to spade/trigger gear on the incoming tide for a little bit and each caught a limit of spades.

Sheep8-15.jpgIMG_2035.jpg
    J

Originally posted by Jman View Post
    Really good weather window lately for fishing at the CBBT. Decided to see if the water cleared at all from last week, because the water was so dirty previously. To our good fortune, the water clarity was much improved. Landed a 23" Sheepshead on a fiddler crab at the tail-end of the outgoing tide. We switched over to spade/trigger gear on the incoming tide for a little bit and each caught a limit of spades.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24068[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24069[/ATTACH]
    You definitely got those buggers figured out. What is the average sized spade you keep for eating? I was really hoping to catch some of those too when we were down there. I did catch one small one, but definitely not worth keeping.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Anything 12" and greater I will consider for the table. I have not landed any big spades yet this year. The few larger ones that I have hooked are masters of retreating to the piling and fraying the line. It can be hit or miss to find any solid ones up to first island.
      J

Comment

I would think sizing up gear might solve that problem. Wouldn't be as much fun to catch using a heavy rod and 50 lb test line, but at least you'd get them out of there.

If I don't get up there (I'll be coming from NC here shortly) this year I'm definitely going to make a trip next year. It's actually about the same distance as coming from MD, just from a different direction.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          I would think sizing up gear might solve that problem. Wouldn't be as much fun to catch using a heavy rod and 50 lb test line, but at least you'd get them out of there..
          This is what makes catching spades so difficult, yet fun and addicting. They have a paper thin mouth that tears easily, so sizing up doesn't help out too much in my experience. Sometimes the larger ones will just tear the hook straight out on the initial run. We set the drag low enough to know if we are on a smaller one, because the larger ones will pull the drag fast.
          J

Comment

Good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
            X