New to VA Easern Shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to VA Easern Shore

My wife and I are moving to a home on the Occohannock Creek area in May. We have been kayaking for just two years and both have Hobies. Mine is an outback and hers is a revolution. Anyway just checking in on this forum. We know nothing about the fishing on this creek but are coming from Eastern Shore of MD so we are familiar with the bay waters in general. If anyone has any tips or recommendations about species/times of year to target them on the creek, I'd appreciate it much.

Thanks,
    Rick

There are a lot of ESVA guys on this board, it's still pre-season (MD Season opens mid April) so you will probably get more replies closer to that date as the board becomes more active. With the winter weather most people may still be in the wintertime hibernation / slumber. I havent even gotten my yak out of the garage since October.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I fish ESVA a fair amount, and I have fished north and south of your creek. One question I have is whether or not your home is on the water or perhaps if you will have access to a private boat ramp if your home is in a development. There are very few public kayak launch sites in your neck of the woods. The fishing is excellent for flounder, redfish, kingfish, Cobia, speckled trout,and some years croaker. The striper fishery in Va. is really getting hurt by the Menhaden fleet, just run up to Maryland for them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I just realized that in my introduction to the forum, I misspelled "Eastern Shore". Anyway, to answer Hemingway, yes we will be on the water with a dock to allow our kayaks to be launched quite easily. That was my number 1 requirement when house shopping. We will be upstream from the low Shields Bridge so will have to trailer our larger boat a few miles to Morley's wharf or other public ramp. We use our larger boat as a mother ship a lot to get to prime kayak territory.

Comment

Originally posted by rderr View Post
          Thanks for the replies guys. I just realized that in my introduction to the forum, I misspelled "Eastern Shore". Anyway, to answer Hemingway, yes we will be on the water with a dock to allow our kayaks to be launched quite easily. That was my number 1 requirement when house shopping. We will be upstream from the low Shields Bridge so will have to trailer our larger boat a few miles to Morley's wharf or other public ramp. We use our larger boat as a mother ship a lot to get to prime kayak territory.
          That’s awesome, you will be getting plenty of pullage!

Comment

Working...
          X