Chincoteque Flounder Tournament 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteque Flounder Tournament 2019

Wanted to share this tournament and see how many kayak anglers might be interested. Chincoteague is great destination for Kayak fishing and would love to see a kayak angler take the top prize over a boater. If your coming I’ll see you there and have a few spots I have no problem sharing.

IMG_6447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
    Wanted to share this tournament and see how many kayak anglers might be interested. Chincoteague is great destination for Kayak fishing and would love to see a kayak angler take the top prize over a boater. If your coming I’ll see you there and have a few spots I have no problem sharing.

[ATTACH]24800[/ATTACH]

Yes I see Chincoteague spelled incorrectly in the header....

Comment

I have been planning to make 2019 a flounder targeting year and Chincoteague is top of the list as far as locations. Can't see the dates clearly on your attached flyer, so could you let me know what they are? I think I believe I would be all over this and really appreciative of any insight on specific spots to target. I have been going over nautical maps and such for a couple of weeks to get a handle on what might work best. Feel free to message me directly if preferred. Thanks Rudy!

Comment

It’s April 26th through May 5th. 25$ to enter and the Flounder have been starting off pretty good already. Should be a good season was hoping to see all Kayak Fishermen taking the top prize spots.

Comment

Thank you, sir. I will reach out again closer to those dates and when I have a target for making the trip

Comment

I fished the tournament in a kayak. Wish I had known about this forum then!! I could have found someone to fish with.

Comment

Is summer fishing in chincoteague pretty slow? I have to say after fishing it for about 18 hours between 2 days a couple weekends ago, I wasn't too impressed. Tried a variety of tactics, structures, locations, etc, and only managed to land 2 oyster toadfish. I was especially disappointed that all the marsh areas I had fished produced nothing, no specks, flounder, or reds, only the occasional crab.

Comment

Flounder fishing has been slow...tried it for a couple of hours in my favorite flounder hole Monday ...1/8 oz jighead with chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet on 10# test...slow drift or cast and slow retrieve on bottom...had several bites that nipped the tail off the Gulp but no takers...late July, August timeframe is when we start catching the occasional flounder as a by-catch fishing for other species...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Chincoteague Flounder

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Flounder fishing has been slow...tried it for a couple of hours in my favorite flounder hole Monday ...1/8 oz jighead with chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet on 10# test...slow drift or cast and slow retrieve on bottom...had several bites that nipped the tail off the Gulp but no takers...late July, August timeframe is when we start catching the occasional flounder as a by-catch fishing for other species...
                  This was my wife's birthday celebration weekend. I was lucky enough to get away and fish Saturday 6:30 am to 9:00 am and Sunday 6:00 am to 8:45 am. Found all the flounder you could catch in shallow water. Outgoing tide in areas where water was flushing out. (Granted I was in my skiff due to time constraints) Deeper haunts produced small Seabass, Searobbins and Small Blues. Shallows produced non stop Flounder action. Did not keep or count fish on Saturday but Sunday I counted 10 keepers(did not keep any). Tandem 20lb Fluoro rig 1/4oz spro and 3/16ox Calutta with 4" swimming mullet. Going to anchor and try fly rod with Clouser this weekend.

Mark

Comment

Fished this past weekend. Once again ...in a skiff with two dogs. Outgoing tide in morning. Fished shallow edges with bucktails and gulp. Lots of shorts and 4 keepers saturday (3hrs) and 2 -20" flounder on sunday in am. Put the skiff away at 10am and loaded up Kayak. Launched from clam house ramp. Paddled into cut between Chincoteague Channel and Assateague Island. Ferried to old piling and crabbed for a couple hours. Caught 1/2 dozen nice crabs for dinner sunday night. Saw a few Kayaks in deeper water. Saw a pontoon boat 75' up onto an island. WTH!

Won't be back for a week as we are letting cousins use our house for vacation. They are eeling around Pooles Island, going to give that a try.

Week of 8/12 will be fishing hard with family. Looking forward to vacation. Look for me, I would be glad to point you in the right direction.
                    Mark

Deeper water produced sea robbins, croaker and bluefish.

Comment

Thanks for the great info! I hope to make the drive out there from NoVA one day and this helped convince me it is a good idea!

Comment

Working...
                      X