Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Shore VA Cobia (Jun 2, 2019)

Finally made a trip to Buckroe Beach Park, VA for cobia
    I brought an eel and caught a ton of baitfish, southern Kingfish, spot and croaker.
    I caught 2 small cobia on the same eel on a circle hook.

Video Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Woo! Way to go Joe
    J

Comment

Jman,
      I am trying to fish on Sun

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Very cool Joe. Are you the same guy who caught a tarpon in VA?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Very cool Joe. Are you the same guy who caught a tarpon in VA?
          yes. I will try again this year in July-August after cobia

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
            Jman,
            I am trying to fish on Sun

Joe
            Let me know. I think I may be able to join you, Joe.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Let me know. I think I may be able to join you, Joe.
              Tomorrow, Sunday, 06/09/2019 - Rain gear needed

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                Tomorrow, Sunday, 06/09/2019 - Rain gear needed

Joe
                Sorry, just got your note, so I won't be able to fish tomorrow.

I hope to catch you on your next cobia trip. Let me know via PM or text.

I will also watch your videos on how-to-fish-cobia so that I can buy all the right tackle. Maybe buy rain gear too if the forecast calls for thunderstorms.

Comment

Saw your 2018 how-to videos on cobia fishing, Joe.

Why do you use mono for main line? Why not use a smaller reel using 30# braid?

Why use 5 lbs grappling anchor? Doesn't 1.5 or 3 lbs work? I have an old rusty 1.5, so maybe I should upgrade to a galvanized 3 or 3.5 lb anchor, which costs less than $20.

Comment

I went there this morning. The wind was too strong. The water was very stained because of the strong easterly wind for days. I will try next Sunday (I work Fri-Sat)

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Saw your 2018 how-to videos on cobia fishing, Joe.

Why do you use mono for main line? Why not use a smaller reel using 30# braid?
                    Answer: My main line is 50# test braided. I had a 3-5' 50# test mono line attached to the braided. And I attached a 50# test duo-lock swivel. The attached mono line is a part of the main line. I connect a lure or a rig tho the swivel. When I cast a lure, the attached mono line becomes the leader. I attach a rig (with leader + a hook (bait) + an inline sinker) to the swivel. I prepared at least 20 rig (3-5' 50# test leader with a hook) before the trip. When sharks show up, I want to replace the rig fast.
                    30 # test braided main line is good enough for cobia. Though you want 200 yards on the reel. Max drag is 8-10 # for cobia.
                    My tackles are for tarpon too. Areas I look for tarpons weren't wide. So I am using 50# test mono in case I need to stop the tarpon run. Though I only saw two tarpons passing by me.

Why use 5 lbs grappling anchor? Doesn't 1.5 or 3 lbs work? I have an old rusty 1.5, so maybe I should upgrade to a galvanized 3 or 3.5 lb anchor, which costs less than $20.
                    Answer: 3.5 LB worked most of time. a few times even a 5 LB with chain didn't work when the current was very strong. Wal-mart in Chantilly and Fairfax prices are very good if they have it. I bought 3 and 5 LB anchors from Wal-mart
                    Once sharks show up, I move. I don't stay in the same place any more. When sharks show up, I will be out of the bait and hook/rigs, and I won't be able to catch new baitfish any more at the same place.
                    From the Mid June, when the water becomes warmer, sharks and rays will come. So you need catch many baitfish. Having a dozen of expensive eels is wasting money. You need to catch baitfish.
                    Now I use bigger circle offset circle hook (9/0 or 10/0). circle hooks are good with eels and smaller croaker, southern kingfish or spot. bigger baitfish need J hook because the tip of a circle hook can be buried to the big baitfish.

BTW cobia is not leader shy at all so far for me

Small baitfish after the launch:
                    I found that I can catch smaller bait fish when drifting between the rows of crab pot buoy in the shallow water.
                    I will anchor the spot where I caught the most baitfish after 150 yard away from the last row of the crab pot buoys. So I move slowly (still fishing for baitfish) away from the last crab pot. There are spots with more baitfish. That is where I anchor

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I went to Buckroe yesterday, Joe.

It was a very nice day. Sunshine, low winds, and small waves.

I caught about half dozen fish (croaker, sea bass, kingfish, and spot) with bloodworm fish bites. Took me about two hours. After that, I hooked a croaker on the back with a octopus beak to start cobia fishing. This croaker stayed alive on the hook for over four hours until if finally got loose. Sadly, no cobia. I also threw spoons; and got nothing.

There were seven other yakers and several anchored boats. All seemed to be going after cobia. I saw nobody catch cobia. One boater pulled up a small shark, while others pulled up baitfish.

Tried my new 3# anchor. Didn't work well. It only slowed down my drift.

First time fishing at Buckroe. Sunday afternoon on a nice day; it was packed with people, not to mention the parking issue as well as the speeding jet skis and power boats. Traffic going home was not good.

Comment

Sorry to see the slow day report.
                        I haven't had off days for a while. I am working 7 days a week and I don't know when I can take off. It seems you didn't hook up any rays or sharks. Which is good.
                        I will let you know when I can fish. You will get one.

Joe

Comment

Tufnik,
                          I am fishing for Cobia at Buckroe tomorrow for the last time for the year. Will look for Tarpon after tomorrow

Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X