A Quick Sheepshead Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Sheepshead Try

I had some down time between work projects that other day, so what better way to kill that time then to go fishing, right? Normally, I'd find myself bank fishing in those situations, but on this occasion I had enough time to make it worthwhile to launch the kayak. Plus, I've been wanting to explore some of the structure around Chincoteague that has been in the back of my mind for awhile now. The target was sheepshead and sheepshead only.

I pulled a couple frozen jonah crabs out from my freezer to use and also scrounged up a handful of mud and Asian crabs from under some rocks by the water. I slowly worked some vertical structure and it paid off nicely this day. I started with a pair of 25" sheepshead that were tough as nails. I fish a very tight drag for sheepshead, tighter than I do any other fish I pursue, and these son of a guns took more drag than I would have thought possible. The second one I would have swore was a foul hooked ray the way it took drag. I loved it. Both fish were likely PB's for me.

Then I picked up another two that were both around 20" and fought very hard as well. I dropped a few other fish that were likely sheepshead after only getting them a crank or two off the bottom. Little to no interference fish either. Only two toads.

It was a short trip but it was the kind of trip that lived up to the expectations you hope for when trying out a new piece of water or structure.

IMG_1047.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1053.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1048.jpg
    Brian

That's an awesome day and a great report. Congrats on the PB.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Congratulations. I have caught sheepshead in Florida on shrimp. Do you know of anyone who gets them on lures? I often see them when I am cruising along mangrove edges casting for snook. They ignore my paddletails.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

This barely counts as a sheepshead on a lure (because my catch was only bluegill sized -- not like Slobber Bob's monsters above) but I caught one on a fly rod and Clouser during one of our trips to Tampa. I didn't know what it was. Neil identified it.

Closer to home, I've heard that Sheepshead used to be prevalent throughout the Chesapeake Bay when oysters were plentiful.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ugh....texting you soon! Great fish!

Comment

True fact on the sheepshead being plentiful at one point in the bay. They were once a primary source of food even for the early colonist. Piles of sheepshead bones have been found at archeological sites up the Potomac. I know for fact of some good sized 20+ inch fish that were taken in recent years as far up river as the 301 (3 or 4 years ago). Highly doubtful you'll find them that far up again anytime soon though. Oyster Reefs in upper Potomac got hammered the last 2 years with the fresh water.

Btw. Great catching Slobber Bob. My 2nd or 3rd favorite inshore fish to catch. Reds #1 followed by a big sheep or striper.

Comment

Thanks. It's always good when a plan comes together!

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Do you know of anyone who gets them on lures? I often see them when I am cruising along mangrove edges casting for snook. They ignore my paddletails.
              I don't. Its certainly not the go to method to catch them. Maybe with gulp shrimp you could possibly entice a bite? But your best sticking with the mollusk or crustacean baits.
              Brian

Comment

Exceptional! Hopefully we can meet up for some sheepy fishing this summer...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Edit
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    Do you know of anyone who gets them on lures? I often see them when I am cruising along mangrove edges casting for snook. They ignore my paddletails.

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                    Thanks. It's always good when a plan comes together!

I don't. Its certainly not the go to method to catch them. Maybe with gulp shrimp you could possibly entice a bite? But your best sticking with the mollusk or crustacean baits.
                    Catch sheepshead on lures?
                    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...highlight=pink
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice job on the sheepshead. I once fished a pond in Florida (I think it was salt water)that was full of them. They kept hitting my little twister tail but unfortunately I couldn't hook any of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X