Another Sheepshead Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sheepshead Report

I joined Yakscientist and Jman earlier this week for a day of sheepshead fishing around Chincoteague. It wasn't lights out fishing, and the current really got ripping for a few hours making it a workout to stay in position with the structure, but we were able to coax a few bites. I landed a 23" and 21" sheep and lost a third that hung me up almost instantly and then shook free from the hook. Add to that a half dozen toads.

Yakscientist and Jman each hooked up with a sheepshead as well but unfortunately weren't able to get theirs to the surface.

I wish the sheep were feeding a little more aggressively but that's fishing for ya.

It was good putting some faces to names though and I enjoyed fishing with you guys. I look forward to doing it again sometime!

DSCF2068.jpgDSCF2063.jpgDSCF2065.jpg
    Brian

Nice, I’m headed there next weekend for three days. Pat tried to beat me to them! Was the incoming or outgoing tide better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

It was nice to meet and fish with you Slobber Bob! Looking forward to the next opportunity.
      J

Comment

I fished there Saturday for flounder the wind was rough had a hard time getting a good drift. I lost one and my boy caught a couple shorts. Slobber Bob let me know when your headed back down would love to see I could hook up on a sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

lb for lb, what fights harder....tog or sheepshead?
          Native Slayer 12
          Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
            Was the incoming or outgoing tide better?
            I've caught on both tides and haven't noticed one to be better than the other yet. I think it's more a matter of locating them. Every trip I seem to find them on different sections of the structure. Just keeping moving around until you pinpoint where they are and don't spend too much time in the same spot if you aren't getting any love (I need to remind myself that sometimes). You can always come back to a piece later to try it again.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
              lb for lb, what fights harder....tog or sheepshead?
              I want to say sheepshead, but I don't have a fair comparison. The majority of the inshore tog I've ever caught are sadly less than 20", while almost all the sheep I've ever hooked into are all over 20"+.

I look forward to the day I'm catching big tog and big sheep side by side for a true comparison

@rudy: will do. It probably won't be another for two weeks until I start working some nights again.
              Brian

Comment

Thank you for guiding us around the area SB! Like you said, the fishing was fairly slow, but I do think it helps me learn how to approach a very new type of fishing for me, around pilings for sheepshead and other fish like them. The one I had on was such a heartbreaker, I could tell he had swum himself around a few snags early on into the fight, and then 2 mins later, he had rubbed the leader against the snags long enough for it to snap. That's 2 I've lost, so I'm due for revenge at some point this summer.

Comment

Working...
                X