Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know, I know... another sheepshead report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know, I know... another sheepshead report.

But I just can't get enough sheepshead this summer .

I met up with Shady at the end of last week to fish the OC Inlet for them. We started at sunrise, but I had to call my day short to attend to a sick child at home. In the 2 hours or so I fished I picked up a couple short tog and a toad. I'm fairly certain we had a sheep out by the tip of the jetty rob me twice before I lost it's location and never could get it to bite again. Oh well. Hopefully next time we can meet up we'll have better results.

Yesterday though I had another short fishing window between work shifts so I tried what has been a fairly reliable fishery for me thus far this summer - sheepshead around Chincoteague. My coworker came along this time to try his luck too. We had no problem finding pickers. I was worried I was going to be out of bait before too long at the rate they were nibbling. Little sea bass, toads, and pigfish were on baits quick.

But eventually I was able to get a bait in the right place at the right time and pulled up a healthy looking 25.5"er. I found a second one that I ever so briefly had hooked (like for 1 second) before it pulled. And my coworker dropped what was likely one too. He had a scale with him so we put my fish on it to see what some of these bigger sheep actually weigh - 12lb 13 oz. The size of the fish in this area have been consistently bigger than what I am used to catching around OC.

IMG_1178(2).jpg
    Brian

Looks like its going to be Chincoteague next time we meet up

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Those are some hefty sheepshead. Nice job.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

25.5 is a honker, well done B!
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Don’t be sorry, killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
          X