Tkaa 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tkaa 2019

Had the opportunity to pre-fish and fish the TKAA Tournament this year Wednesday - Sunday. My goal for the week was to get out to the CBBT as many days as possible (have to scratch that itch when you can!). The goal for Wednesday was to try for Sheepshead, flounder, and drum. Ended up spending more time trying for Sheepshead and the bite turned on quickly for a short period of time. Ending up having two come off the hook after fighting them for a bit and then finally landed the third, which was 24.5". F19FF083-EA0F-493B-8E07-DDEE716C1C31.jpg

The forecast for Thursday didn't look good, but after looking at the ACTUAL conditions - it seemed perfectly fine to launch. Ended up being great conditions and landed a nice 48" Red Drum on live bait.5D596597-3D3F-4E3A-B196-5E9A38ED6494.jpg07944857-1652-42DD-81B4-5667E6A213C7.jpg

Friday was a bust for fishing at the bridge with NE winds rolling through and we tried at Rudee for specks without any catches. However, it was nice to relax and paddle around looking at some of the large yachts in the inlet currently.

Tournament day was Saturday and we decided to go out to the CBBT to try for big drum, since earlier in the week went well. It was my Dad's first time out there and within fives minutes of dropping a bait down, he was hooked up to a solid 47.5" drum. I couldn't believe our luck. It was a blast to see him get pulled around by that drum and eventually land it. I ended up hooking up to a large drum within the next hour and landing it. We measured it at 48.5", however the measuring tape got covered and bunched up in the photo, so we lost 4" for the tournament on it, but nevertheless the next largest drum was in the 20" class for the tournament. A couple of other kayakers hooked up to some drum near us, but had some misfortunes in the fight. We ended up taking home first and second place in the red drum division. This was my second year fishing the tournament and both years were a good time. Hope to see some others there next year!

EA6A411B-7E22-4651-9DDA-F4D78906B3CB.jpg25E048A9-0032-40A0-BEAC-FD7779997C55.jpg
    J

I went to CBBT to see Jman on Sat. But I wan't in the tournament. I was there to bring some fillet to share with my colleague at work.
    I caugt 15 spadefish at 7"-11" on clam, a 22" sheepie, 1 16" tog, 2 small puppy drum, & 1 conger eel on shrimp

Here is my fishing log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Congrats to you and your dad! Those are good fish!
      Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian - we had a great time! It was also nice to see Joe and a few other RVA guys out there from last year.
        J

Comment

Nice work on those Bulls! Plus a lifetime memory with your Dad.

Comment

Awesome fish and great that you won the tournament too! Hopefully I'll be tangling with a few reds down in Oak Island next week, we shall see.

Comment

Congratulations great job on landing those two big reds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nice work on the drums for you and your dad. I have yet to catch one that big on the kayak. I was also at the TKAA, but only for the Captains Meeting and the award ceremony on Saturday. I did not fish since I was down in Virginia Beach for my wedding anniversary with my wife for the Neptune Festival, which was at the same time as TKAA. Fortunately, my wife shopped the boardwalk popup stores on Saturday afternoon and told me to go to the Tournament ceremony. I did not argue, so I went

I did sign up for it month ago as a donation and to get a captains bag. It was was fun award ceremony. I bought only 15 raffle tickets and ended up winning $1200 of prizes....! When I got back to my wife, she thought that I went shopping at a kayak store! This was the most that I have won since going to this tournament for 11 years.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Thanks - it was a memorable trip!

@moc Now is the time to catch the big reds! Congrats on your anniversary and the raffle success. That's amazing with 15 tickets.
                  J

Comment

Thanks - it was a memorable trip!

@moc Now is the time to catch the big reds! Congrats on your anniversary and the raffle success. That's amazing with 15 tickets.
                    J

Comment

Nice Jman, is the tournament always around the beginning of October?

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                        Nice Jman, is the tournament always around the beginning of October?
                        Thanks, it is usually around then. They typically announce the early registration during the summer.
                        J

Comment

The tournament seems to be on the last weekend of September.
                          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE
                          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                          X