esva seaside report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esva seaside report

In the last couple weeks some puppy drum and specks have been caught from the back bays behind OC and Chincoteague. Since I had a 2 hour window between work shifts a couple days ago, I decided I'd try for them down around Chincoteague since I was already in the area and I had the time. The last time I fished behind OC I tried for specks there too, but struck out on them, so I figured what was the harm in trying some spots I haven't fished in a good many years?

Let's just say the fishing exceeded my expectations and I lucked into a bunch of fish. No pups, buts lots of striper and specks from around the marsh banks. The stripers averaged about 16", with a couple pushing the 20" mark. Not huge by any standard, but they were abundant and eager to eat just about anything. The speck bite was what I went out for though and I was very happy by the end of the trip with both the number I caught and the size; with specks averaging about 17 - 18", and a few just shy of 21".

IMG_1275.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1272.jpg
    Brian

Just saw a job posting in my field in OC, think I might need to apply. Fishing in the area seems to be fire this fall!!!

Hope I can get back before the fire dies

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice job Brian, those are some beautiful fish!

Comment

You’re a machine, Brian. Nice catches!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks guys. Sometimes you stumble into a honey hole.

I had to take advantage of it while it lasts so I went back to this spot last Saturday. I had to be at work by mid-morning and I went in a couple hours early to to fish beforehand, but from the bank this time. It was like fishing in an aquarium. It was the best speck bite I've ever been on. 2 straight hours of fat 18" - 20" specks and 16" - 20" stripers. If I went 3 or more casts without hooking up it was like something was wrong. I might try again later this week; hopefully the coastal storm we had didn't drive them out.
          Brian

Comment

Really good to hear reports of the great fishing! Speckled trout are neat fish.

Comment

Working...
            X