Decent launch near cape Charles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent launch near cape Charles

I’m going on a cobia charter next month out of cape Charles. I’m going down a day early with my kayak. Staying at a hotel in Nassawadox. Can anyone recommend a launch I should use to target puppy drum and specs anywhere in that area? I’ve never been. Just looking for public launch where I’ve got a chance at some fish in the marsh and I’ll explore.
    Thanks

I am far from an expert in that area, but the Virginia eastern shore has numerous launching spots on both the bay side and the ocean side. You can find their locations using an internet search. I have launched kayaks from Wachapreague, Kiptopeke, and Wise Point, and my center console from various other spots, including Harborton and Cape Charles. Check with the local tackle shops for tips on where to focus your efforts. I have occasionally caught specs and reds from those spots, but not consistently, since I fish there only 1 trip per year.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      I am far from an expert in that area, but the Virginia eastern shore has numerous launching spots on both the bay side and the ocean side. You can find their locations using an internet search. I have launched kayaks from Wachapreague, Kiptopeke, and Wise Point, and my center console from various other spots, including Harborton and Cape Charles. Check with the local tackle shops for tips on where to focus your efforts. I have occasionally caught specs and reds from those spots, but not consistently, since I fish there only 1 trip per year.
      Thanks. I have looked at a bunch of launches in the area Using the paddling app. Didn’t know if there was one in particular that would be ideal for kayak fishing. I’ll talk to some bait shops. That’s a good idea. Thanks again.

Comment

It’s been awhile for me but there is a launch over by fisherman’s that gives you access to the bridge where you can try for sheepshead / reds / flounder. Owl something?

Edit: Doug got it below.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Wise point will give you access to fisherman’s island and the fisherman’s island bridge, but isn’t ideal for puppy drum and specks; however they could very well be around. It is great for flounder and possibly sheepshead. If you’re looking for specks and possibly a pup, I would suggest Nassawadox creek; especially because you’re staying up that way. There is a launch in the middle of the creek that can be productive. It’s called the Bayford Boat Ramp. I believe it’s a paid launch so bring $10 or so. Good luck!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            Wise point will give you access to fisherman’s island and the fisherman’s island bridge, but isn’t ideal for puppy drum and specks; however they could very well be around. It is great for flounder and possibly sheepshead. If you’re looking for specks and possibly a pup, I would suggest Nassawadox creek; especially because you’re staying up that way. There is a launch in the middle of the creek that can be productive. It’s called the Bayford Boat Ramp. I believe it’s a paid launch so bring $10 or so. Good luck!
            Perfect. I was looking at that ramp. Thanks

Comment

Did good on specs out of saixs yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by makomyday View Post
                Did good on specs out of saixs yesterday
                Never mind, saw you meant Saxis.
                Last edited by Big Mike; 06-08-2020, 03:06 PM.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  Thanks for the advice. Worked out great. Spent two days in Nassawadox and caught a ton of reds and stripers. Going fish to those concrete ships in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Takem View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. Worked out great. Spent two days in Nassawadox and caught a ton of reds and stripers. Going fish to those concrete ships in the morning.
                    Great! Glad to hear that. Any size to the reds?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X