Eastern shore fishing vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern shore fishing vacation

I have been fishing on the eastern shore of Virginia since Monday. Most of the spots where I fished have produced small fish, albeit a good variety (11 species over the four days). Five of those species were ones I had not previously caught during 2021 (I now have caught 53 different species so far this year). I fished at a spot on the bay side Monday afternoon and caught a 27” redfish and several specks. This morning I returned to the same spot.

It is tough to fish there from a kayak because I need to paddle 2.5 miles from my launch spot to get to the preferred fishing spots. Once there, the fish cooperated. In the first 20 minutes, I caught a 23” redfish, a 22” speck (my first two specks were 22" but both squirmed out of my hand before I could get a photo -- this 19" speck was more cooperative), and a 20” striper.

2021-07-29-001.jpg 2021-07-29-006.jpg

The bite slowed after that initial flurry, but I finished with 2 reds, 4 specks, 3 stripers, and a flounder.

2021-07-29-004.jpg 2021-07-27-001.jpg

All fish were caught on 3/16-oz jigheads with paddletails trolled behind my kayak in 2’ to 4’ water depth. The wind grew stronger during the morning such that it was hard work paddling in the windward direction.

I finally left but still had an hour of paddling into the wind to get back to the launch. I arrived back at the launch after 5.5 hours of paddling, covering 10.7 miles (my longest paddling trip ever). Tomorrow I head home.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That’s a great morning John. Those reds must have been a blast.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Beautiful fish, thanks for the report!

Comment

Thank you for the detailed report and pictures. Congratulations on a great catch!

Comment

Working...
        X