No announcement yet.

Kipto 12/9: Lost my Togginity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capt. "Tap Tap" The water was right at 52F and those holes on the south ships were where I was.

I'll try to be ready... but unfortunately I have to go through the warden... LOL!

Comment

Nice going!!!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
        Capt. "Tap Tap" The water was right at 52F and those holes on the south ships were where I was.

I'll try to be ready... but unfortunately I have to go through the warden... LOL!
        52F? You mean I have one more chance???.

But I have vistors at home until Christmas Eve. So I will hit tthe local water.
        hmmm...

Seriously, I may fish for tog at Kipto Ships in January once for the heck of it.

BTW, some one called me "tap tap" few days ago. I told my wife that " Honey, I am tap, tap" (with thick Korean Accent) . She replied "What is tap, tap?" (even thicker super heavy Korean Accent) She knew it was a fishing talk.
        I replied “It is almost, not quite, but the closest I could ever get, it is like holding your hand first time” It sounds stupid but for the only redneck in town said it, it works. I thought I earned one more free pass.

Joe

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-12-2011, 02:43 PM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

MTYM,
          The TSAWBC-661MHJ is about $80-90. I haven't checked out the lowest price, but I think the Trevala is $120. You may want to check out the Trevala S grip, which suppose to be lighter than the Trevala. It goes for $160. I tried to get a weight comparison of the three rods, but I could not get the ounces of each.

Joe,
          I think I'm done for the year, but if the temp remains about 50, I would surely be tempted to try for togs again in December. Not sure how quickly the temp would change and how long the togs would stay around or be active.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Joe - yeah still 52! I would have gotten the cold shoulder after making that analogy to my wife! LOL

Tufnik - You got the pricing right. The Trevala and the Airwave feel about the same, so I doubt I will pick that one up. I am eyeing the S grip though, it is lighter in action and probably a little in weight too.(I picked one up at BPS too) I wanna get a nice low profile reel to go with it for a lighter setup. But time will tell...

Comment

You getting two!?!?

I prefer fast action, so maybe I'll go for the Trevala instead of the S grip. On the other hand, if the Airwave is about the same as the Trevala, and the Airwave is $40 cheaper, seems like the Airwave is the way to go.

Comment

LOL Naw, just the S grip! When I said I picked one up, I mean just physically held it... not bought it. LOL. Maybe next time we fish I can let you use my Airwave and you can see how you like it. No local shop carried one so I bought it blindly... but it was definitely worth it!

Comment

I was at Oceans East yesterday and looked at the Trevala, Trevala S and Airwave. I thought I wanted the Trevala or Airwave. Both are nice rods. After realizing the S was noticeably lighter, I now want the S.

Comment

trevala S is the way to go
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      I was at Oceans East yesterday and looked at the Trevala, Trevala S and Airwave. I thought I wanted the Trevala or Airwave. Both are nice rods. After realizing the S was noticeably lighter, I now want the S.
                      And it leaves your pockets lighter too...LOL! Does Ocean's East have a good selection of Tsunami rods? I have been eyeing their inshore rods, but I don't know who carries em.

Comment

Yeah, not complete, but they have a selection of Tsunami boat (e.g., trolling, jigging) and surf rods. Probably the best in stock selection I've seen. I don't know if BPS has them. The S sells for $169.99 at Oceans.

Comment

And you tried the Airwave jigging rod right? Not just the regular Tsunami? I didn't think that it and the Trevala were that much different. Then again, I didn't have them side by side.

Comment

Right, the Airwave jigging. Airwave and Trevala seemed similar in weight. Of course I wouldn't know about actual usage, but their action seemed similar depending on the model you compare. If I were to buy either, I'd get the Airwave and save $30-40.

The big feature is the weight when you hold the S. It's light and slender, so it'll lessen hand fatigue. The grip is not as thick as the Air or Tre. The S doesn't come with a wider range of designs. You have only two models at 6' 6" with the others at 6' 3". Air and Tre have more models at 6' 6".

I may do as Pinch will do. Get a couple S rods for different situations. Probably the XL at 6 6 and ML at 6 3.

Also, I wouldn't cut the butt. I found the long grip to be good, especially when I fought my big tog. The long grip also gives me better leverage when holding out the rod with my right arm while controlling my Outback rudder with my left.
                            Last edited by tufnik; 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Still trying to figure out what model to get. ML?

Model Length Pieces PowerPro Rating Jig Weight Power Action
                              TVSC66XXL 6' 6' 1 10 - 20 lbs 55g XXL Med-Fast
                              TVSC66XL 6' 6' 1 20 - 30 lbs 75g XL Med-Fast
                              TVSC63L 6' 3' 1 30 - 40 lbs 90g L Med-Fast
                              TVSC63ML 6' 3' 1 40 - 50 lbs 110g ML Med-Fast
                              TVSC63M 6' 3' 1 40 - 60 lbs 135g M Med-Fast
                              TVSC63MH 6' 3' 1 50 - 80 lbs 168g MH Med-Fast

28 grams = 1 oz
                              Last edited by tufnik; 12-26-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I think I am gonna go with the 6' 3" M. My mother in law got me the Trevala, but I am gonna exchange it and pay the diff. for the S model! That way I won't have a lot of overlap between it and the Airwave. Now I gotta find a reel for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X