Tautog Bonanza, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Dec 15, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog Bonanza, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Dec 15, 2021

Well, everything went perfectly as planned. Mild wind, incoming changes to outgoing tide at 10:00 AM, milder current (almost full moon phase), water temp at 49-51F.
    I caught 22 tautog between 8:15 and 11:30 AM at 5 different pylons. the largest was @21".

Video Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Wow, now that's a tog field day. I was at Rudee the same day, Wed, looking for PDs and specks. One guy caught two short specks. Other yak anglers and I caught nothing. So much for the moon phase.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That's a great day! Good to see you back on the water!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

It's hard to beat togging when the fish are on the feed. Nice job!
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          I was at Rudee the same day, Wed, looking for PDs and specks. One guy caught two short specks. Other yak anglers and I caught nothing. So much for the moon phase.
          Interesting you mentioned this. I was on the east side of the bay that same day and the puppy drum action was good. Nothing for trout or stripers though.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            That's a great day! Good to see you back on the water!
            I am back. But, now I fish CBBT only when wind is below 8 MPH, 10MPH when S, SW wind. No more 15MPH days. My old legs recover after 3 days. So, no fishing two days in a row.

Joe

Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              It's hard to beat togging when the fish are on the feed. Nice job!
              It is very nice to see words "Slobber Bob". I bet you catch a lot of togs in OC inlet. I felt the water was warmer In CBBT this year by 2 degrees. The biting will continue until the middle of January I think. This Christmas weekend will be good, but I cant fish.

I will check your posts in January in OC inlet.

Thanks
              Joe

Comment

Wow, now that's a tog field day. I was at Rudee the same day, Wed, looking for PDs and specks. One guy caught two short specks. Other yak anglers and I caught nothing. So much for the moon phase.
                It's getting tough as the water cools down. I will still fish Rudee when the wind is too strong for CBBT fishing.
                Regarding Moon phase, I meant the water current at CBBT only. My actual fishing time is based on the speed of the currents throughout the day. The current at CBBT is very strong on days near "new moon". So I take breaks at the 1st island where the current is mild for 1-2 hours during strong incoming and outgoing current. The currents are milder on the days near "half moon", so I can fish whole day. The current is still milder on the days near "full moon" (compare to new moon), so. I fish during the strong currents or take short break.

I can fish for togs better when the current is mild. I can drop the bait exactly where it supposed to be.

If the wind predicted mild on the weekends, I will be fishing CBBT 4 hours during the incoming changes to outgoing tide. (Water is warmer)

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

Interesting you mentioned this. I was on the east side of the bay that same day and the puppy drum action was good. Nothing for trout or stripers though.
                  Kent, Poplar, Tilghman...? South of Taylors Island? Even though it's closer, haven't fished the east side in years. May start again cuz it's tough driving down to Rudee (4 hours) for PDs.

Comment

Yeah, Joe. That current can rip and do a number on my legs as well as make drop-fishing tough. Bought a Bixpy system to help out my legs; haven't used it there yet.

Comment

Kent, Poplar, Tilghman...? South of Taylors Island? Even though it's closer, haven't fished the east side in years. May start again cuz it's tough driving down to Rudee (4 hours) for PDs.
                      No, sorry, not that far north. I meant across the bridge from Rudee in Northampton County.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X