Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie!

Hi All,

I'm new to kayaking saltwater, but I've been surfcasting the east coast for a little over a decade. Lived in MA for 13 years and then moved back home to VA in 2016. I recently purchased a peddle kayak and broke it in over the fall in the Raritan Bay. Now I'm obsessed and want to take advantage of the fishery in the Chesapeake. I'm not opposed to fishing in the cold. I just want to know if there are any guys or gals out there that are fishing off the kayak in the bay this time of year. I'd like to try and plan a trip out of Kiptopeke soon! Would love to know if people are down for a meetup on the bay soon weather permitting.

welcome to the great world of kayak fishing! not many people go out in the winter on this forum. The bite def slows down a lot about now. In the upper/mid bay, we mostly stick to creeks or rivers for pickerel and perch these days. or fish some lakes and ponds.

there are some great spots in the lower bay if that's closer to you. There will for sure be some people going out to CBBT in the late winter.

Comment

Warm water discharges are the game right now if you want to get out for stripers. Not many post about it anymore because places can get crowded and attract people that aren't prepared for the cold water. It may not be as exciting but freshwater or tidal panfish / pickerel or catfish fishing can also be a good time this time of year. Welcome to the group!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to wait a couple weeks before going out in this snow and ice. Hope to see you guys out on the water!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, lonellr.

In a normal Maryland year, I will fish in my kayak every month. But this January has treated us to more wind, snow and ice than usual. I have not been on the water since a 31 December pickerel outing in two Magothy River creeks. The forecast is not promising for me to be kayak fishing anytime soon.

When I do kayak fish locally in cold weather, I confine my locations to tidal creeks and ponds for bass, panfish and picks.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X