Striper and Bass in Lake Anna, VA - Feb,12, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper and Bass in Lake Anna, VA - Feb,12, 2022

The strong wind in VA Beach kept me landlocked in Northern VA for weeks. No CBBT fishing for weeks. I fished Lake Anna on Feb 12, 2022. Lake Anna water is warm because of the power plant. The warm side of Lake Anna is private, no publish access. I fished the cold side off Dike 3 where the water is warm, usually 39-55 F, depending on the hot water discharge schedule. The place is almost guaranteed for bass in winter at least I fished for striper or Hybrid over 20 inches hopefully. Though it didn't happen. I am always rely on bait-chasing birds. But, I didn't see the bait-chasing birds at all. It seemed none (on 15 + boats) weren't catching any fish. I fished for largemouth bass for fun for change. I caught 1 baby striper, and 2 small LM. I was thankful because at least I could fish in February in Northern VA.

Fishing log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I have always wondered... how do landlocked stripers compare to those we catch in the Chesapeake and tributaries? Do they fight as hard? Do they taste different?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
      I have always wondered... how do landlocked stripers compare to those we catch in the Chesapeake and tributaries? Do they fight as hard? Do they taste different?
      The striper in Lake Anna is the same Chesapeake Bay strand. Hybrid was added 4-5 years ago. To me both tasted the same as the Chesapeake Bay striper. Hybrid is fatter.

No differences in fighting. Only differences is lure size to me. my Lures are thinner and smaller than the ones used for the Bay. I try to mimic thread fin shad in the Lake.

People here said that Lake Anna is less polluted than the bay. 20" minimum size, 4 per person.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Lake Anna has blueback herring so smaller baits can be pretty productive. In my experience the hybrids fight harder are their length, but they are deeper bodied so they weigh more at a given length.
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
        X