A Trophy Tautog, CBBT, Mar 5 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Trophy Tautog, CBBT, Mar 5 2022

I expected a trophy tog since I couldn't land a trophy tog a week ago. Usually, big, but few tautogs are available Mid February - Mid March. This time, I brought stiffer rods to lift a big tog up immediately right after a bite.
    I planned to fish hard between 7:00 and 9:30 (first slack at 7:30 AM) and between 11:30 and 2:30 PM (2nd slack at 01:00 PM).
    After a few pylons, around 8 AM, a big tog got away. The main line got cut due the barnacles. I couldn't get off the pylons fast enough. A 24.5 incher hit the next bait. I landed another one at 17".

That was it. I had total 4 bites between 8 and 8:30 AM. Two kayakers showed up and I fished with them the rest of the day. Zero bites!!!

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Haven't fished there in a while, so, I hope to go out there within this month. (Got motivated by your video)
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-08-2022, 08:53 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Haven't fished there in a while, so, I hope to go out there within this month. (Got motivated by your video)
      Remember, we used to fish CBBT when the wind blew at 15+ MPH? I haven't done that for months. 8 MPH and under in Dec-Mar has been a new rule since beginning of this winter.
      Once the water becomes above 55 F, I may try under 12 MPH.
      I will text you a day before my next trip when the wind and the time of the slack tides are good. I will have GOOD BAITS for both of us.
      I will carry tackle for puppy drum/speck also.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nice one!
        Native Slayer 12
        Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post

Remember, we used to fish CBBT when the wind blew at 15+ MPH? I haven't done that for months. 8 MPH and under in Dec-Mar has been a new rule since beginning of this winter.
          Once the water becomes above 55 F, I may try under 12 MPH.
          I will text you a day before my next trip when the wind and the time of the slack tides are good. I will have GOOD BAITS for both of us.
          I will carry tackle for puppy drum/speck also.

Joe
          Sounds good. Need to check out my equipment to make sure it works.

Yeah..... rain, rough waves, and high winds. Caught in a thunderstorm. White-out. Couldn't see past the bow of my yak.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Friday looks good. Slack at 7-ish (incoming -> outgoing) and 1-ish (PM) 0utgoing -> Incoming. Half Moon - Milder current. Water temp 51 F now, will be 52-53F. We may get 10-15 bites.

Comment

Working...
            X