Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribbonfish & Spadefish at CBBT, VA (09/18/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbonfish & Spadefish at CBBT, VA (09/18/22)

I went for Spanish mackerel and spadefish again. The spadefish were getting smaller in September. After catching 4 small spadefish, I chased some birds and baitfish for spanish mackerel. Somehow, I caught 5 Bluefish only, no spanish mackerel. While chasing spanish mackerel, I recognized ribbonfish on the fish finder. I like ribbonfish a lot. So I improvised the cut-bait rig to catch ribbonfish in 10' - 50' down. I caught 5 ribbonfish. After that I fished again for spadefish. I couldn't find spadefish over 11".

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great report. If you don't mind I'll tack my own on, since part of my last trip at the same time was in the same area. I did a run down south last Friday-Monday and fished hard on the Outer Banks the first three days, from Pea Island to Oregon Inlet to Nags Head, but the big drum run from the previous week had died down and everything was dead. I did manage to pick up a 25" puppy drum from the surf near Jennette's Pier on Saturday evening (9/17). Sunday I headed to Va. Beach and took the kayak back in Lynnhaven but was rewarded with nothing but teeny blues. No one had fiddlers and the surf had no fleas so I was out of luck fishing for sheepshead. Sunday night I went to Chic's near sunset and there were small spanish in the surf at the CBBT. I caught a few before nightfall.

On Monday (9/19) I headed back to Crab Creek and decided to troll the outside. Just past the pound nets I kept seeing an osprey diving. When I got to the spot there was a school of menhaden in some crazy rips that were pinned in by spanish. I had a blast throwing small spoons on a really light trout rod. After a bad tip wrap on braid and other assorted messes I got back to chasing the school as it repeatedly sounded and reappeared, then realized I had blown way offshore. I got a little spooked and made my way back. Having smoked spanish and blues for dinner tonight.

Comment

Pamlico,
      Big bull reds started run at CBBT. The sign was I caught an un intended puppy drum. Puppy drum is the sign of the start of the bi Bull red run at CBBT. I don't target big Bull red. But I catch them any way in mid Sep - mid Oct when fishing for flounder (2 oz white bucktail trimmed with gulp or soft lure) and puppy drum (shrimp). CBBT will be hot for big red in Mid Sep-Mid Oct. I wish you have a chance to fish again CBBT soon.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks, Joe. I target big reds from the surf but would probably avoid them from a kayak. I'm still a beginner in a yak and big drum are a little too powerful to mess with from such a small craft. I have enjoyed your YT channel for years and know how much you love fishing Rudee and the CBBT. Like you, I live in Northern Virginia and feel like the drive south is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamlico View Post
          Thanks, Joe. I target big reds from the surf but would probably avoid them from a kayak. I'm still a beginner in a yak and big drum are a little too powerful to mess with from such a small craft. I have enjoyed your YT channel for years and know how much you love fishing Rudee and the CBBT. Like you, I live in Northern Virginia and feel like the drive south is worth it.
          If you see me on the water, let me know. I will be fishing Rudee for specks on Oct 29 (Sat) or 30 (Sun) before Halloween (Monday). I will be wearing a Halloween costume. Good size specks are guaranteed that day

Joe

Comment

Working...
          X