A trophy tautog and the 1st speck of 2023 (CBBT & Rudee), 03/10/2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trophy tautog and the 1st speck of 2023 (CBBT & Rudee), 03/10/2023

The weather has been bad for 2 weeks. After skipping fishing last weekend, I was determined to fish CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Rudee Inlet, VA. My primary goal was catching a trophy tautog at CBBT, VA, and the second goal was catching a puppy drum (redfish) in Rudee Inlet, VA.

I stopped by the beach launch site for CBBT early in the morning for tautog fishing. AS forecasted, It was calm for 4 hours before the wind picked up. I managed to catch only 1 tautog at 24" (trophy size).

I fished Rudee Inlet for Puppy Drums. There, I heard that puppies had been biting but not Specks (speckled sea trout). Though, I found only one kayaker caught a puppy drum that day, and about 15 groups were skunked. I casted for 4 hours without a bite bite. While casting I found specks on Fish-Finder. So I trolled. I caught a striper at 23", and 2 Specks at 18" and 20 ".
    VIDEO Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice video Joe.

I was surprised you caught specks in cold water.

But I shouldn't be.

You catch fish wherever you go and however you fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I am responding to someone who is planning to fish tautog, speck and puppy drum in VA Beach for Mark's comment.

I go by my stats. I think fishing is all about the stats.

I have been keeping the water temp, catches and locations for several decades along with tackles.

If you you want to travel for hours to catch tautog, puppy drum, and speck in VA beach, wait until the water temp rises:

I use two NOAA buoys for the water temp, one for CBBT, the other for Rudee.

For anglers who are new to CBBT:

NOAA Buoy 44064 (for CBBT) - in the spring, wait unit the water temp is 50 F and above for 3 days. Avoid the days when the water temp dropped , even by 1 F until the water temp reaches to 52F,

Fish for tautog at CBBT when the water temp is 52 F and above in the spring.

NOAA Buoy 44099 (for Rudee)
      This buoy shows the ocean water temp not the creek water temp in Rudee. But, it is the only one available and is very useful. So use this for Rudee fishing in spring and Fall/December.

in the Rudee creek,

Puppy Drum:
      Puppies biteswhen the water temp is 45F-46F very rarely. No reason to fish.

During warming trend, the creek water temp can be higher than the ocean water temp by 1-3 F. This depends on clouds and incoming and outgoing tide.
      Depending on the air temp and clouds, the ocean water can be warmer than the creek water, and vice versa.
      So, in March, pick a sunny day because the creek water can be warmer (heating up in the shallow areas.

Puppy bite improves when the water temp is steady around 50F and above. I like 53 F minimum for the new anglers/visitors.

Speck:
      Possible specks bite when the water temp is steady 50F for 10 days. But I still don't recommend fishing in 50F water to visitors until the creek water temp reaches to 55 F (Buoy water will be 52-53 F that time, end of March and April).

Speck don't bite when the water temp drops, even 1-2 F when the water temp is below 56 F.

FYI, My past prep/predictions before making fishing decisions:

I check the water temp on the following two NOAA buoys. I check other buoys for other species and other locations:

Today is March 18, 2023. I am not fishing. For Rudee fishing, I will wait until the water temp reaches at least 50F. For visitors, wait until the water temp reaches 53 F or check my oncoming reports

Water Temp Water Temp
      for Tautog for Puppy and Speck
      Date NOAA Buoy NOAA Buoy
      March (44064) for CBBT (44099) for Rudee
      6 50 ok 50 Puppy OK, possible speck
      7 50 ok 50 Puppy OK, possible speck
      8 49 tough 49 tough
      9 49 tough 49 tough
      10 49 ok 49 tough
      11 49 ok 48 tough
      12 48 ok 47 tougher
      13 48 ok 47 tougher
      14 48 ok 46 very tough
      15 47 tough 46 very tough
      16 47 tough 46 very tough
      17 46 tough 46 very tough
      18 47 tough 46 Puppy tough, speck very tough

I hope this helps in Rudee and CBBT fishing in spring.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

March Water Temp (Buoy 44064)
        Tautog fishing
        Water Temp (Buoy 44099)
        Puppy and Speck fishing
        6 50F - ok 50 F - Puppy OK,
        possible speck
        7 50F - ok 50 F - Puppy OK,
        possible speck
        8 49 F - tough 49 F - tough
        9 49 F - tough 49 F - tough
        10 49 F - OK 49 F - tough Fished.
        2 specks caught,
        no puppy
        11 49 F - OK 48 F - tough
        12 48 F - OK 47 F - tough
        13 48 F - OK 47 F - tough
        14 48 F - OK 46 F - very tough
        15 47 F - tough 46 F - very tough
        16 47 F - tough 46 F - very tough
        17 46 F - tough 46 F - very tough
        18 47 F - tough 46 F - very tough
        Re-did the table

​​​​​​​Joe

Comment

Working...
        X