Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flounder and Bull Reds, 07/07/2023, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Eastern Shore), VA,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder and Bull Reds, 07/07/2023, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Eastern Shore), VA,

Two weeks after the cobia fishing in Western shore of CBBT, I went to the Fishermen's Island in Eastern Shore.
    My target fish was sheepshead, and possible cobia. But, I knew flounder is very possible there while fishing for sheepsheads.

At the ramp, I met Slobber Bob. It was very nice to meet him. We split because our target species were different.

I launched the kayak from Wise Point boat ramp, and fished the beginning section of the CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) at the Eastern Shore line. The place is called "High Rise".

My rule for the kayak fishing here is "go to "High-Rise" with the outgoing current, and come back with the incoming current"

I fished for 1.5 hours during the outgoing tide and 6 hours during the incoming tide.
    None, including 10+ boats, caught sheepshead. Sheepshead weren't there. No cobia sighting also.
    Because I use shrimp, catching redfish (red drum) is almost guaranteed. Also, catching flounder on shrimp during summer is very possible at the bridge (30%).

I caught 2 redfish @32" and @46". Luckily, I caught 2 flounder @17.5" and 19.5".

Fishing log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-09-2023, 08:17 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

It was a pleasure meeting you too, Joe! I'm glad the flounder saved your day since no sheepshead were caught.

I went the opposite way you did and caught some puppy drum on topwater and soft plastics. Sight fishing was hard though because of off-colored and cloudy water in shallow. I did circle back around and try some sheepshead fishing briefly, but quit after catching 6 toads.
    Brian

Comment

Bob,
      The water was very stained that day. There is always clear line between the stained water and clear water in the bay side. After fishing 2 hours in the stained water, I fished in the clear water only. The water temp in the creek was 83 F. I thought that was too high for any fish.

I feel like cobia and sheepsheads moved on. I think Spanish mac and ribbon fish will be there from now on in the bay side..

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Great report, as always. I was down that way during the middle of last week, though I fished the other side around Lynnhaven and the slag pile in the Elizabeth. It was a grind that only gave me a drum, sheepshead, and a couple of trout to show for it. (I also butterfingered an upper-slot drum at the slag pile back into the water). Not sure if anyone was around Lynnhaven Tuesday night but ambulances and fire trucks started pouring into the lot around 9 PM. A kayaker was lost on the bridge. It was grim--search boats everywhere, lights shining down from the bridge. I dropped by the municipal marina to clean some fish and saw the Coast Guard pulling in with a fisherman's kayak across the front. Made my heart sink because it was clearly recovered from the accident. I asked what the status was, fearing someone was about to get the worst knock on the door of their life. The guy smiled: "We got him. He's okay."

Be careful out there.

Comment

Working...
        X