Lynnhaven report Aug. 17-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnhaven report Aug. 17-19

My original plan was to focus on Lynnhaven Inlet, with possible side trips to Rudee and a little surf fishing for roundhead and drum around North Beach. And, if the wind was right, maybe a trip out of the inlet to look around for spanish and blues around the pound nets.

I stuck to Lynnhaven the whole time. This is only my second year targeting sheepshead and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Bottom sweepers and fiddlers hooked from the underside so they present as upright when the jig sits on the bottom seem to outperform almost every other approach. I concentrated on the docks and some deep holes along channel edges along sod banks (they hold plenty of sheephead, though no one ever seems to target them there.) I ended up with four of them (and god knows how many missed ones), as well as two incidental red drum that bit on fiddlers. One was under the Lesner, the other back on sod banks. I also picked up a keeper flounder on a live mullet on a carolina rig drifted along the channel.

While cleaning one of the drum tonight I ran across something I've never seen before: a small brown mass in the meat, about the size and shape of a grain of rice, embedded in the flesh. I assume it was a parasite. Cut it out just to be sure, but I guess it could have also been an injury that healed up. The only parasites I've ever seen in saltwater fish are worms in the guts of cobia, anchor worms on reds/stripers, and sea lice on the gills of stripers.

Great to see a fishing report. I wonder where sheepies are hiding.
    It's tough to catch when the water very warm in the creeks. Though you managed to catch a good number of fish. That is great.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

The CBBT has been tough for a month or so now. I've been doing pretty well in the inlet this summer--you should give it a shot next time you're down that way. It's rare to find giant sheeps the way you sometimes do on the bridge, but there are way more fish. Another yakker I talked to had already limited out on flounder at the end of the outgoing near creek mouths on the east side. The bigger ones are starting to move back inshore from a summer on the reefs and wrecks.

Comment

Working...
      X