September 11-13 Lynnhaven report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 11-13 Lynnhaven report

Day one had an unfortunate start. I left well before dawn in the middle of a downpour. There was bad ponding on I95 so I slowed down, but that wasn't enough to stop me from hitting a still pool of water that was like black ice. I hydroplaned and slowly drifted to the left, completely out of control, and slid into a guardrail that shot me back out onto the road. It was pouring rain and pitch black so I couldn't get out and take a look and just kept going. By the time I had some daylight I was in Richmond; a quick check showed some cosmetic damage but not too much else. I hit terrible traffic at the HRBT and sat a dead stop for nearly an hour. Once in the water things were slow until something big grabbed my fiddler and yanked me into a dock. The braid was around my index finger and it dug in so badly that it sliced me wide open. Blood everywhere. Given this year's vibrio outbreak it gave me the willies. Needless to say, the fish went around a piling and that was it.

So the trip was off to a fantastic start. I did finally get a nice sheepshead and decided to have lunch and take it easy the rest of the day.

Day two was better. I went out to the pound nets and fed oyster toads for about an hour. The outgoing tide flushed a ton of dirty water out of the inlet, but just beyond the posts it was cleaner and there were a few small schools of bunker I threw spoons at, to no avail.

Back in the inlet I lucked into a nice sheesphead, then a couple more to make it three for the day.

Day three was fantastic. I was out before dawn on the inside, throwing a topwater spook for drum around the islands. I got a few blow-ups but could not connect so I started dropping fiddlers and throwing plastics. I caught small sheep, flounder, and puffers that all went back. Around 10 I tried my usual haunts and then went to the bridge to try and fish some interesting structure I found the day before on sonar. It was stacked with fish. I was getting strikes on almost every drift and caught my limit of sheeps, plus a nice black drum and left them biting.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Thanks for the report - that’s a great comeback after a rough start to making it down there. Some good eating size sheep there.
    J

Comment

Working...
    X