October 8-11 Tidewater report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 8-11 Tidewater report

Sunday: I dawdled getting into town and decided to stay off the kayak because of high winds. I checked into my hotel and stashed everything but my surf gear in the room and headed for North Beach above the resort strip. I had no luck netting mullet in Lynnhaven and none of the shops had any fresh, so I started catching small spot to try for drum as the sun went down. No dice on the drum, though I did land a sand tiger. I was just glad it wasn't a bull or blacktip. It's not a lot of fun trying to release one of those by yourself in the dark.

Monday: I hit Lynnhaven and dropped fiddlers on the bridge to see if I could find some sheepshead. No dice, though I did luck into a 25" puppy drum. After that I worked the inside with topwaters and soft plastics, to no avail. The wind kicked up and I was freezing to death because I had the brilliant idea to just wear shorts and a light shirt with a windbreaker. I put my kayak stuff away and pulled out the heavers to return to the oceanfront for drum. Other than the spot I caught for bait it was uneventful...except for the naked guy.

Like everyone else on the beach I thought some idiot was clowning around wearing a flesh-colored speedo. But no, he was butt naked and clearly out of his gourd on something. When the police arrived he started running away, arms outstretched like a marathoner nearing the finish line. It was spectacular. Even the cops were laughing, until they'd had enough and tackled him and led him off the beach. So that happened.

Tuesday: Back to Lynnhaven, deep on the inside. Dink trout everywhere, no keepers. That evening I went to Rudee to buy fresh shrimp off the boats. I have typically bought my greentails down in Wanchese this time of year, but the shrimp fishery in Virginia has really taken off. I bought 20 pounds to freeze. You really should stop off and get some if you're down that way. Beats the pants off anything from the store.

Wednesday: I hit the Elizabeth, launching from the park under the Jordan Bridge. I worked some of the coves to the north but only ended up with a short puppy drum and some dink trout to show for it. If you've never fished an area like that, extreme urban fishing is an experience. There's nothing like dodging cargo ships and aircraft carriers that make you feel like a mouse under the feet of elephants. It's wild.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pamlico; 10-13-2023, 01:07 PM.

Sounds like a fun and eventful trip overall, even if you didn't catch your target species/sizes. Thanks for sharing
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

For anyone fishing down that way, the pinfish were a plague. They were even tearing up fiddlers. And I neglected to mention that I did get a single sheepshead on Tuesday, so they're still around. Just not in the numbers and size they were a few weeks back.

Comment

Nice report. I know what you mean on the Elizabeth. That river is loaded with fish but I can't stand going there. Smokestacks, factories, aircraft carriers, barges, barbed wire, highways, trains....it's too much for me. I strongly prefer a more natural setting.

Comment

Working...
        X