Tautog at Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Dec 08, 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog at Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Dec 08, 2023

In November, I did a annual self-rescue practice for the winter fishing. I never had any issues in the past in the routine self-rescue practices. But, this November practice was different. I was slow, sluggish and did not have physical strength/speed. I realized that I am not 60s any more. So, I practiced on 3 different days. After numerous self-rescue practice, I made a trip to CBBT for tautog finally. After the self-rescue practices, I was confident that I can execute my new self-rescue plan successfully one more time at least in Dec - Mar. I wanted to make sure that I come home live after a cold water fishing, especially CBBT, 3+ miles off the shore and when none is fishing but me.

Anyway, in 51 F water, as I expected, I managed to catch 4 keeper tautog out of 20 +.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-18-2023, 11:39 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great Job thats some good action glad you practiced self rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Hobiewanknowb View Post
      Great Job thats some good action glad you practiced self rescue
      Thanks. I've been dunked more than 12 times. 1/3 of them happened in the cold water as low as 34F. To me, it's a must.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nice to see some posts re self rescue. Like Joe above I've also practiced and at 60 and 240lbs, it's anything but easy to haul oneself out of the water and over the side of a high sided sit on top fishing kayak. The value of practice to me was reaching the realization that without some aids and a process (1) I can't get out the water and (2) after 4-5 attempts, you're pretty much spent and iff you're not out, you're not getting out. My practice led me to do the following things:

(1) I needed a PFD that would sit me higher in the water. Most videos you watch on YouTube show guys with head and shoulders clear of the water before trying self rescue. With my PFD I was neck deep. That's a lot of upward hauling required. Therefore, I now have a PFD rated to hi 20's lbs flotation rather than 16lbs that is common with PFD's designed for fishing. I also have straps which go through the PFD and between my legs. This ensures the PFD sits down and doesn't ride up when in the water. This is important since if you're not Charles Atlas triangular shaped from waist up, the only thing stopping your PFD rising is your armpits. The higher it rides, the lower you sit in the water. The lower you sit, the harder it is to haul yourself out. Finding the right PFD took time.

(2) I have a blow up paddle float. Takes a couple of minutes but is invaluable in helping me stop capsizing the boat on myself again.

(3) I've made outriggers from 7" diameter crab pots and use them all the time. They are fabulous in adding more stability. For sure they offer added resistance when in the water and turning over the cap sized kayak. However, they provide a lot of added stability when in use. Along with the paddle float they offer increased resistance to capsizing when attempting re-entry. The main objective of the outriggers is to further reduce the opportunity of going swimming. Having used these most of 2023, I don't them an inconvenience or hinderance to fishing.

(4) Discipline regarding rules for fishing. If the wind is great is = or > 10mph and I'm not fishing a sheltered creek, I'm not going out. On winds between 5-10mph I'll only fish the upwind shore. I'm committed to never standing in the kayak. I use the 120 rule regarding adding air and water and when to use a semi dry suit. I've seen many people go out in cold water wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

I guess what's important is that all of the things I've done came about because of practicing self-rescue and trying different things. I'd suggest forum readers do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DST64 View Post
          Nice to see some posts re self rescue. Like Joe above I've also practiced and at 60 and 240lbs, it's anything but easy to haul oneself out of the water and over the side of a high sided sit on top fishing kayak. The value of practice to me was reaching the realization that without some aids and a process (1) I can't get out the water and (2) after 4-5 attempts, you're pretty much spent and iff you're not out, you're not getting out. My practice led me to do the following things:

(1) I needed a PFD that would sit me higher in the water. Most videos you watch on YouTube show guys with head and shoulders clear of the water before trying self rescue. With my PFD I was neck deep. That's a lot of upward hauling required. Therefore, I now have a PFD rated to hi 20's lbs flotation rather than 16lbs that is common with PFD's designed for fishing. I also have straps which go through the PFD and between my legs. This ensures the PFD sits down and doesn't ride up when in the water. This is important since if you're not Charles Atlas triangular shaped from waist up, the only thing stopping your PFD rising is your armpits. The higher it rides, the lower you sit in the water. The lower you sit, the harder it is to haul yourself out. Finding the right PFD took time.

(2) I have a blow up paddle float. Takes a couple of minutes but is invaluable in helping me stop capsizing the boat on myself again.

(3) I've made outriggers from 7" diameter crab pots and use them all the time. They are fabulous in adding more stability. For sure they offer added resistance when in the water and turning over the cap sized kayak. However, they provide a lot of added stability when in use. Along with the paddle float they offer increased resistance to capsizing when attempting re-entry. The main objective of the outriggers is to further reduce the opportunity of going swimming. Having used these most of 2023, I don't them an inconvenience or hinderance to fishing.

(4) Discipline regarding rules for fishing. If the wind is great is = or > 10mph and I'm not fishing a sheltered creek, I'm not going out. On winds between 5-10mph I'll only fish the upwind shore. I'm committed to never standing in the kayak. I use the 120 rule regarding adding air and water and when to use a semi dry suit. I've seen many people go out in cold water wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

I guess what's important is that all of the things I've done came about because of practicing self-rescue and trying different things. I'd suggest forum readers do the same.
          I am so glad to see your testimony. We need more like yours.
          I am not 60s any more. 5' 7", 150 LB. I have my own challenges as a short man with short reach. So, the practice is the only one that made confident enough to fish in cold water. I did over a dozen real self-rescue in my life. I know exact routine that I need to follow. I visualize the self-rescue when leave the beach.

I am posting two self rescue videos on the main forum. It took me a long time to complete the videos.

Thanks
          Joe

Comment

Working...
          X