No announcement yet.

First sheepie of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the same rods for togs as I do for sheeps.

I use a Trevala S. It's not as sensitive as graphite, but I enjoy it. Two of my friends use the regular (fat black handle) trevala and love it. Kevin uses a J. Buky custom. I used to use a Teramar and that worked fine. What I (and Kevin) recommend is something like the Shimano Compre Graphite Musky rod. If I didn't have my trevala or trevala s, I would get one of these. There are cheaper alternatives that will work too. Just don't get a really noodley rod and expect to be able to properly fight the big ones.

Comment

Thank you Rob. I don't have to buy new rods. That is great.
      Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

sorry, just dropping in on your convo guys. Im wondering if you could use a slip float rig similar to what some people use for crappie for the Spades?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          sorry, just dropping in on your convo guys. Im wondering if you could use a slip float rig similar to what some people use for crappie for the Spades?
          Try it. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Now it is a war!

Dang! I couldn’t leave home early due to an emergency at work. Yesterday (Sat, July 14) I arrived at the launch site at 11:15am. There was no parking spot nearby. I spent about 30 minutes to find a spot in front of a day care. Some no parking sign were misleading. We (I and other beach goers) asked locals to make sure that we legally parked.
            I launched at 12:30PM, headed for the first 4 prong pilings because of the Thunder Storm warning at 3:00pm, and also because I wanted thoroughly investigate the location Tufnik and HokieDJ were.

I met 4 kayak-anglers. They quickly gave up the location and headed for the First Island.

I purchased 4 dozens of fiddler crab and covered 21’-34’ of water beginning of the 4 prong pilings and beyond the 5 prong pilings sheepshead.

I caught 20+ 9inch croakers, 5 toadfish, and 1 pigifish on fiddler crab for 4 hours. I thought once (the second hit), I caught a sheepshead. It feels like a 15” tautog for 4 seconds. The fish got away.

I dove once. The visibility was 2.5 feet. And the current was stronger than I thought for freediving. Perhaps I give up the dream of kayak-spearfishing in VA (kayak reachable locations).

I met a friendly father and son team fishing for Spade Fish. They were using a slip sinker and jig head rig. The boy told me that they caught Spade from 11-12’ of water. They were using a small clam strip on a 3/16-1/4oz jig head (hook size looked 1 or 1/0)

SO I mimicked what they were doing. When we reached the 20’ of water, at 05:30pm I had to come back home.

I think kayak fishing for spadefish and sheepshead in VA is tough. I am ready to ditch the fishing tips originated from SC, FL, LA, AL and TX because kayak-fishing for these species in VA (kayak-reachable locations) is quite different. I will be using Rob’s rig for Sheepshead and slip sinker/jig head combo for Spadefish.

Next time I am heading for the First Island (CBBT) or the HBRT rock pile depending on the wind.

Now it is a war.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

With all your effort, and no sheeps........yes, it is war now. Next time I'm sure you'll get them.

Is your slip sinker the same as an egg sinker? How long was your leader?

Did you see any spades or sheeps during your dive?

Did you see any cannonball jellyfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_jellyfish)? For bait, Bill said spades like them and croakers don't.

I hope to try this weekend. First, I'll try 10-15' for spades, then work toward the island. Will try the carolina rig with a 1-2 oz egg. Instead of a jighead on the rig, I'm thinking about using a j-hook (and a 1/4 oz egg sinker and bead just above the j-hook). Hope it works.

Thanks for the report.
              Last edited by tufnik; 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,
                My silp sinker is an 3 oz egg sinker. I used a 2 foot leader
                I didn't see any fish or jelly fish
                Your spadefish rigg will work.

I think we need to bring Michael because Michael will find the fish. Or Dave will be also good. Somehow Dave found the fish last time. We just steal their spots once they find the fish.

Joe

Comment

Haha always happy to help. When are we heading down?
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    Haha always happy to help. When are we heading down?
                    Keep me posted when you go!

Comment

This Saturday(Jul 21) I have to be home by 5:00pm. To me, Cape Henlopen rock pile sounds better than CBBT becaue of the driving hours.
                      I can fish until 01:30pm. I know the tog season will restart on July 17, but I don't know if sheepies will be there at the rock pile.

You guys check out CBBT. I will check Cape Henlopen rock pile for sheepies

joe

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X