First Shad in Occoquan - April 5, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bignose View Post
    A sabiki rig with more than two hooks is illegal to use in Maryland waters.
    Maryland restricts you to no more than two hooks (sets of hooks-lures with treble hooks are considered as set) per rod.
    I recommend a double shad dart or dart and spoon rig.
    I use a heavier dart on the dropper, usually an 1/8 oz dart on a 1 foot leader, and a lighter dart or small nungusser or tony spoon on the trailer, about 24" of leader. Most of the strikes will be on the trailer.
    I tie these to a small ball bearing swivel that attaches to the main (braid) line.
    Last year Bignose showed me how to rig up for shad when we fished at Fletchers together. He knows what he is talking about. I put the knowledge to good use this morning, catching 11 shad in 15 minutes on the lower Susquehanna using several rigs I modelled after the one he made for me last year.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

11 in 15 minutes! Wow, you must have had a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
        Friends went to Fletchers this weekend (rented their row boats) and had a great day....The shad are at Fletchers in force. Has anyone ever launched their kayak @ Fletchers? Do they allow access to the water @/near their dock or do you have to go a little upstream or downstream...I have only fished there once (last year) out of one of their boats...i had a great day, but would like to kayak it.
        You can launch a cartop kayak/canoe at the far end of the lower parking lot for free. NO boat trailers allowed. The river is about 200 feet from where you park. Its an easy carry over level grass/dirt. A kayak cart would work great here.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Do you have to go through that low ceiling tunnel to get to the lower parking lot at Fletcher's? If so, wouldn't many car top kayaks not make the little clearance given in that tunnel area?

Comment

Originally posted by Financeguru View Post
            Do you have to go through that low ceiling tunnel to get to the lower parking lot at Fletcher's? If so, wouldn't many car top kayaks not make the little clearance given in that tunnel area?
            cartop kayak should have no problem, SUV or trucktop kayak may have problem
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hey John, can you post an image of that rig?
              Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
              Stealth Green Tarpon 140
              Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Working...
              X