Occ Reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occ Reservoir

I live way to close to the reservoir to not fish it. So I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to where to launch from or where abouts to start looking. If I dont get much info I'll probably launch from Lake Ridge Park, start around the mouth of the smaller channels and beat the banks with a search bait and back it up with a jig. Any tips would be appreciated. You might save me a day or two of my life looking around
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
    I live way to close to the reservoir to not fish it. So I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to where to launch from or where abouts to start looking. If I dont get much info I'll probably launch from Lake Ridge Park, start around the mouth of the smaller channels and beat the banks with a search bait and back it up with a jig. Any tips would be appreciated. You might save me a day or two of my life looking around
    Please let me know anything you find out. The 2nd MAKBF event is scheduled to be at the Occoquan Res. But I don't know anything about it personally I just wanted to spread out the locations.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
      Please let me know anything you find out. The 2nd MAKBF event is scheduled to be at the Occoquan Res. But I don't know anything about it personally I just wanted to spread out the locations.
      Will do. I imagine Ill end up beating the banks to death. I haven't seen much on it since I've been a user here. Ill keep digging for info and post reports.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Lake Ridge Park is where I launched last year. I know you can also launch from Fountainhead Regional Park in Fairfax. I'm thinking about hitting the reservoir sometime this week after work to see if I get lucky and catch something.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieru View Post
          Lake Ridge Park is where I launched last year. I know you can also launch from Fountainhead Regional Park in Fairfax. I'm thinking about hitting the reservoir sometime this week after work to see if I get lucky and catch something.
          How Much parking does the lake ridge park have? and is there a fee? Same Questions for Fountainhead? For the MAKBF event we were planning to use Bull run Marina, but open to switching if other think it would be better suited. Thanks for any info

Comment

It has been 10 years since I have fished the resevoir on a regular basis. At that time it was one of the best crappie fisheries in the state and that is what I focused on. There are many small coves with deep water and all of them have some type of structure, usually a fallen tree. I would use a small beetle spin or tube lure and would catch all the nice size crappie I would want. There is plenty of parking at Lake Ridge Park, if the marina is full then just a short walk up the hill to a large lot at the golf course. I cant remeber if there is a charge or not. Good luck.

Bob R.

Comment

If I remember they charged me $3.00 or $4.00 dollars for launching the kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieru View Post
                If I remember they charged me $3.00 or $4.00 dollars for launching the kayak.
                Which location are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                  Which location are you referring to?
                  I was referring to Lake Ridge Park.

Comment

First trip to Occ Reservoir was a mild success. I learned a lot about this body of water and can definitely use this as a plan B since it's a mile from my house. And I didn't go skunked, even though I hear it's a regular occurrence. I launched from Lake Ridge park around 9am, Wednesday morning. The water is pretty clear compared to surrounding waters (3-3.5 vis)and is much deeper (read 45 feet in the center as I cut across). I fished somewhere around a square mile surrounding the launch, not including the launch cove since that probably gets a lot of attention from people renting boats. Parking lot has maybe 40 spaces roughly. I didn't pay anything to launch, but I also didn't stand around to ask. I imagine there is no fee for Lake Ridge community members but I could be wrong. I will ask about that since I still need to get my Lake Ridge decals.

The banks are pretty steep on this "Lake". At the shore, depth goes from a few inches to about 15 feet within 10-12 yards. That can change though depending on the topography in each area. Some stay around 4 feet and others drop straight from cliffs down to 12 feet. I mentioned lake because I fished it just like one. I started on the mouths of the coves in that area, hitting the points hard and working my way back trying to locate where they were holding. I used a hard and soft jerk bait backed up with a jig. Ultimately a crankbait helped me pull 2 from the water. Both looked healthy but these fish have been caught plenty of times. They give up immediately once you hook them and then go crazy as soon as you pull them out. Their lips are pretty banged up as well. If I wasn't hooking them with both treble hooks I definitely would have lost at least one.

Overall, I like this water and can use it as a good plan B since I live a mile away. It's very fishy looking with grass, drop offs, fall down and coves. I didn't spot any beds. Water temp was 70 in the sun.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

Nice report, another body of water I'd like to start getting into as its a 20 minute drive from the house

Comment

Once you get your Lake Ridge decals, you can use the private launch for Lake Ridge residents. That launch is located at the end of Forrest Hill Dr. which is about 1 mile east of Lake Ridge park. It is at the back of a long creek that is located just above the dam. Good fishing in this area that doesn't get fished as hard as the area around Lake Ridge and Fountainhead parks. You have to get a key from the association to access the launch and parking area.

Comment

Thanks for the report and info . One of many waters Id'e like to check being so close. How about Fountainhead ? Just wondering how much pressure it gets being a state park and I thought I heard they have jon boat tournaments. Going to try to hit Beaver Dam this afternoon .
                          Last edited by Jig Monster; 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM.
                          John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Working...
                          X