More Virginia Beach 4/13 and 4/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Virginia Beach 4/13 and 4/14

Well Goody has his side of the story already in so now its my turn. Had to make the choice to fish Rudee for Saturday due to the weather man lying about the wind so plans of 1st island or HRBT went to pot and had to find sheltered water. Spent from 0700 to 1330 hitting all the known flounder and spec hot spots to no avail. Decided to hit the beach to use the restroom with 3 foot rollers coming in and miss timed the beach break and angle of wave, resulting in me rolling the yak and starting a yard sale in the surf line. Thanks to Goody's quick response and keen eye sight collecting floating equipment heading out to sea I only lost a net and kitchen shears. Lesson learned, make sure you batten down the hatches prior to doing rough beach landings. After a partial dry out trolled the length of Rudee with one short strike, suspect a Spec. Got to where there was a floatilla of boats and realized the reds where in 2 feet of water when Goody and I backed the yaks into shore and started nailing the reds for the next 2 hours. Picked up from Rudee and headed to Hot Ditch for night time trout. Unfortunately the Yacht Club changed the rules for launch and it is no longer a pay to play launch, you must have pre approval from the yard and be a member of some sorts. So to the hotel we went for needed rest. Woke on Sunday and the winds said no need to go to Kipto, must make the 3 mile paddle to the 1st Island. So after a short stop to talk to Kayak Kevin and pick up bait we were on our way to the beach to launch. Headed out to the Island, the wind and current were working with each other, which by the way was opposite of the way I was going so heading out was no fun. Linked up with Rob Choi and one other brave soul that battled I mean paddled out named Joe just before the Island. Searched pyles and rocks for 2 hours with out a bite. Rob was struggling and so was Joe, which gave me little confidence in my skills or at not getting skunked. Finally got a bite on one of the Pyles in 50 feet of water with Fiddlers and it was game on for the next hour and a half landing 9 in total while the current was slack or at least just creeping back in. Wind stayed out of the NNE and assisted the paddle back in. All i can say is all those people the talk a good game of Tog tasting SOOOOO good, They are right. Hope you enjoyed story time with me good luck and tight lines. Oh almost forgot to thank all the people in cars that honk for you out on the water making the paddle to the Island, every time I heard the honk and I waved my paddle, it picked my spirits up. Thanks Guys.
    P4130017.jpgP4130018.jpgP4140019.jpgP4140020.jpg
    Cobra Marauder 14'
    "Ok, wait a minute! What the hell am I doing wrong here?"

Looks like two days of fishing fun. That's what I like to do most of the time because the drive down there is long. I know the creel is three, but were all nine togs keeper size? Thanks for the report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Only 5 of the nine were sixteen or better
      Cobra Marauder 14'

Comment

Very nice fat Tog you got there.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Awesome time bro!

Quick question. When you guys spend the night at a hotel what extra precautions do you take with your yaks to make sure they are safe and sound?
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You could probabally put a bike lock through the scupper hole and attach it to your roof rack. I haven't had to but Ryan at Easton Bike said that it would work.
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

The three things I have done to secure my yak is, 1) when requesting hotel get ground floor room with door opening to outside of room and put the yaks on top of eachother at foot of beds. Makes it a little tight in the room but I am not throwing a party and only there to sleep and shower.2) run a rubber coated steel cable lock through scupper holes and lock it to tie down in pickup truck bed. Remove all hatches and loose equipment and stick in cab of truck and lock.3) Stay at lodging on military base like this last weekend. MP's Constantly patrol and military bases clear out for the most part on the weekend. Less people looking at them and if they are on the base they most likely have a job and are not as prone to stael from you vs. Buying it themselves.
              Cobra Marauder 14'

Comment

Can anyone lodge on the military base or do you have to be affiliated with the military?
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Don't know will ask
                  Cobra Marauder 14'

Comment

Thanks Bro. I've always thought about your #1 for a future overnight outing. Like you I don't care that it's cramped, I care that my yak is safe for the next day...
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

WTG out there!! Nice fish!

Comment

Working...
                      X