Little Hunting Creek launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Hunting Creek launch

I was reading an article about snakeheads in the health and science section of the Washington Post today (I think someone posted a link to the article in the main forum if anyone is interested) and it mentioned electroshock studies done in Little Hunting Creek, which got me thinking again about how to launch here. I often run along the Mt. Vernon trail starting at Mt. Vernon or riverside park and have taught about trying to park at riverside park and some combination of wheel/carry/drag my yak dpwn under the bridge there. I think it would be doable if I don't bring too much stuff with me. Has anyone tried to launch here? Does anyone know if there are any other public access points to put in to Little Hunting Creek?

I posted the link to the article. I was looking at that same park on google maps. I was going to take a trip there to determine the same if I make it there I will let you know. The other option is to launch at jones park and head down river just a little, to Cameron run which is just below the Wilson bridge and I believe it has similar water/vegetation characteristics as hunting creek.
    Last edited by Moschedmi; 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM.
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

The potomac access near Riverside park off of the the gw parkway is going to be hard. It is pretty steep rocky decline to the water of approximately ten feet. There is a Belle Haven Marina which is a mile or so from river side park. The charge $5 for cartop boat.
      Ed
      Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Dyke Marsh is full of snakeheads, and the access is from Belle Haven. Might save a long paddle

Comment

There are a few spots along here I'd like to try. It seems like little hunting creek is going to be one that is harder to get to. Thanks for the info on Belle Haven. If I were to launch from here to get to little hunting creek I'd probably take my revo to make covering the distance easier. Ideally, though, I'd rather take my commander for this type of fishing to be higher out of the water and have the ability to stand. At some point I think I am going to try and take the commander to riverside park. With the padded sides it is pretty easy to throw in on my shoulder and carry. I think I could carry it from the parking lot there down the mt vernon trail and slide it down the trails people have made to get down below the bridge. On the side closest to riverside park I think there is even a little sandy area. I'll put up a report on how this goes when I get a chance to try it.

Comment

Let me know if you can get your yak down to the water at Riverside Park. I'm interested in Little hunting creek as well, it looks like one of the hottest spot for Snakeheads.

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
            There are a few spots along here I'd like to try. It seems like little hunting creek is going to be one that is harder to get to. Thanks for the info on Belle Haven. If I were to launch from here to get to little hunting creek I'd probably take my revo to make covering the distance easier. Ideally, though, I'd rather take my commander for this type of fishing to be higher out of the water and have the ability to stand. At some point I think I am going to try and take the commander to riverside park. With the padded sides it is pretty easy to throw in on my shoulder and carry. I think I could carry it from the parking lot there down the mt vernon trail and slide it down the trails people have made to get down below the bridge. On the side closest to riverside park I think there is even a little sandy area. I'll put up a report on how this goes when I get a chance to try it.

Comment

Belle Haven to Little Hunting is a haul to paddle. Just sayin'. I would rather tote the boat from the bridge.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
              X