New Virginia Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Virginia Member

Hi everyone! I was recommended this site for knowledgeable, friendly, flame free folks when it comes to fishing and yaking (not the yaking after drinking all night...although I've had my fair share). I'm in NOVA, but also spend a lot of time south at Lake Anna. I don't have a yak yet, but have been thinking about it for several years. I just never knew who to ask or where to go, so this will be a great start for my learning experience.

So, on that note....I wonder what everyone thinks about VA requiring safety certification for all who operate PWCs and boats? Do you think it will make it a little safer out there? I hope so.
    Anyway, I hope to get out there someday and enjoy the kayak life and maybe even get a sleigh ride!

It is not safer. You can get that certification online cutting and pasting answers from Google while drinking your beer. I have one of these "certifications" and it was a joke.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Welcome aboard Paul! You will be very happy here bro!

I don't think many people have done the certificate and I agree with pinch, it's going to be a waste of time. Plus I believe it's for crafts over 16' and jet skis but I could be wrong.

Hopefully you'll be in a yak and joining us soon!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hey brother! I've already learned a lot from the threads here. I've also been looking at the different types of yaks available. Let's just say I'm on restriction for right now. I'll either have to sell a few things or just keep saving. lol. Either way, I'm thrilled to make new friends and hopefully hit the water either by boat, yak, or from the shore. As a matter of fact, I was down at Quantico fishing a little and noticed a yak fisherman hitting the areas boats can't get into....he never made it down my way, so I couldn't chat with him.

Comment

Welcome. I have taken the boaters safety course in MD and got the certification. I needed it to rent boats (before I got the kayak), and LEGALLY, I need it since my yak is motorized. It sucked because if you were born before 1972, you didnt need to take the course. Most of the stuff doesnt apply to kayakers in the least bit. Some of the information is useful and good to know, but most of that is available online for free though.
          Last edited by MetroMan; 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yeah, Virginia makes it pretty clear about it being motorized, etc. Age has no factor here....although the older you are, the later the requirements falls into place (e.g. 40 years and younger must have it done by 2012, 41 and older by 2013) or something like that. Anyway, I think as long as it deters at least 1 idiot on a PWC from coming out there....it's a good thing. But then again...none of this matters until it's enforced just like you had to prove it for renting. I think we'll know for sure on the holiday weekends when all the boaters get their boats in for the first time or when july 4th weekend hits and they realize their lights don't work.

Comment

Working...
            X